THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to increase case prep output....
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for feedback on some ideas for speeding up the case prep process.

What I am thinking about is setting up a progressive press not for full blown reloading, but for increasing the rate in which prepared cases can be ready to charge and top.

So here is what I am thinking...

Station 1: Lube

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=4&s2=3&s3=20

RCBS Lube Die
Decap and lube cases in one step with our exclusive lube die. Designed for progressive presses like the Pro2000, Turret, AmmoMaster, Piggyback 2, 3 and 4, and Auto 4x4, but works just fine in single-stage presses. Four sizes cover 45 popular calibers. It's faster and cleaner than a lube pad; easy to refill with lubricant (RCBS Case Lube-2 included); standard 7/8" x 14 thread.

Has anyone have any experience with these? are they worth the $30? Any advantages/disadvantages?

Also is it possible to operate this die effectively without the decapper?

Station 2: Full length size

Full length sizing die. Already have Lee.

Station 3: Trim

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=15&min=0&dyn=1&

RT 1200B Case Trimmer

The RT 1200B is used just like a standard size die. The big difference is that while you are pushing the case into the die to size it, a 1/4 horsepower electric motor driving a carbide cutter is trimming the case to length. Chips are drawn off through a vacuum manifold that clamps to the outside of the special size/trim die. (Vacuum cleaner and hose not included.)
The RT 1200B is equipped with a quick-disconnect power cord; and it can be used on any standard reloader, single stage or progressive.
Dillon's RT 1200B is shown installed on an RL 550B. The priming system has been removed for case trimming operations.
The RT 1200B trimmer motor is available only in 110 volt 60 hz. Size/trim dies are sold separately. Please see chart below.
Please note, the 7.62 x 39 is only available as a complete trimmer. 7.62 x 39 trimmer motor is not compatible with other size/trim dies

Does the case still have to be Chamfer and Deburred after use?

Does this system work on a flash hole pilot?

Station 4: Expand neck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=129697

Lyman Neck Expander M Die 30 Caliber Long

Improves the accuracy of cast and jacketed bullet reloads. Doesn't stretch cases like standard expander button style dies do. Works in a two step process, the first step expands the inside of the case neck to just under bullet diameter. The second step expands the case mouth to bullet diameter or slightly over so that the bullet can be started perfectly centered.

M-Die expands the case neck to just under bullet diameter for precise neck tension in first step. Second step flares case mouth to bullet diameter or slightly over for proper seating.

I have this die already. Glad I bought it. Boat Tail FMJ can easily be reloaded. But the flat based Remington 150gr PSPCL is a pain without flaring the neck. So this die has already paid off. Makes fitting bullets easy.

So these are the basic 4 steps I am thinking about. What I would like to do is also integrate priming the brass somewhere in this system. It could be done seperately. My thinking is that I would like to have the option of starting with tumbled used brass, then end up with ready to load primed cases.

There are many progressive presses out there. Many with different options. What I am looking for is a setup where I can do the above of less than $600 ideally. If you have constructive input or ideas, please post.

-Thed

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a RT 1200B Case Trimmer it works quite well. It has been a long time but the last time I used it I did about 3,000 .223 military brass. I did not debur the inside of the case necks. I did a reload for a friend with a Mini 14 he was not shooting for accuracy just for fun.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
What rifle are you loading for?
If you aren`t loading for a semi-auto and aren`t/don`t have to crimp why not use a Lee collet die in your first step and eliminate the need for lube and likely triming too. Case necks most likely won`t be as tight as with a std FL sizer and you "may" not need the M-die also.
Acually you can crimp when useing the Lee dies but a one time trimming to even up the case lenghts might be needed.

1- neck size/deprime
2- prime
3-charge powder
4-seat and crimp bullet.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It helps to say what calibers.... Smiler

I am looking for a case preping system for .308win and .223. For Gas/autoloading firearms. So Full length resizing and triming every time is important.

For charging the case, I am using a PACT dispenser/scale combo and it can spit out an exact charge for .308 in 12-13 seconds. During the cycle time (when I get into a good rhythm) I can dispense, fill, place & seat bullet, and crimp about 4 rounds a minute. Now this is not blinding speed by any means. But I can get very consistant built rounds and a pretty good rate.

So what I am looking to do is set up a progressive system just for case prep. Instead of speading up the reloading process with a progressive system for making complete ammo, which would not give me the quality control I like with charging.

What I found out is that the Dillon trimer is also a full length sizer. Which eliminates one position in a press.

So, what I am looking for is good suggestions for a three position progressive press. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

-Thed