THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Dies, Lock Rings, case trimmer- gripes aplenty

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dies, Lock Rings, case trimmer- gripes aplenty
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I sold my RCBS case trimmer and use the Lee trimmers - quickest and easiest but I've underestimated enough fools to wonder about fool-proof. Seems I've never needed tools to adjust Lee lock rings as I have with others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this. Cut a small piece of lead. I used fishing weight (Split Shot)put it in the hole that your set screw on the lock goes in. The re-install your set screw. This will keep your setting and dies locked tight, so you do not have to put several thousand pounds of torch on the them LOL. A little Imperiel sizing wax on the top of the press will keep things from locking up and will seal up so it keeps things tight. I have a set of channel locks wrapped with numerous layers of Duct tape on my bench just for this reason. I have stuck a few. Redding dies make very straight ammo though. RCBS sent me a few extra lock rings, they work great on the Redding. Like you said free. RCBS will fix that trimmer. I would look in Sinclair if you have to get a new one. Forester and Wilson both make nice trimmers. Give them a look you can get them cheaper else where ussually

one of us
posted Hide Post
I began reloading about 5 years ago, started out with a RCBS Master kit and purchased other items as needed. For dies, I opted to start out with Hornady, as I could get them at the local gun show for about $5 cheaper than RCBS or Redding. This was back in my "ignorant" days. The ammo I've made with this stuff has been ok with accuracy ranging from about equal to factory stuff down to 1/2-3/4" groups.
Recently, being all "smart" now, I decided I'd start upgrading my die sets to Redding units. I plan (eventually) to use their Competition sets, exclusively.

Well, my first foray into Redding products is underway and I can't believe how much I hate their lock rings. I never thought I'd miss Hornady's wrench flats (on the dies themselves) either. I CAN tell you that I hate having to use a set of pliers on my new dies. That SUCKS! I gues I'll be buying up some Hornady lock rings to put on my Redding superdies. Now, if I can only find someone to machine some wrench flats on them....

Lastly, Am I the only one who gets inconsistent case lengths with their RCBS case trimmer? I can't seem to get the same length from one case to another. I tried locking it down tight with the provided set screws and wound up damaging the threads on it, making it a "one length" case trimmer. Luckily for me, RCBS has very good customer service- I swear I've never paid for anything they send me, never. Anybody have a suggestion for a bulletproof case trimmer to replace this thing with?

Thanks,

Cooter