New
Find
Notify
Tools

trim before or after neck sizing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed if I trim my brass before I run it through the neck sizer, the pilot gets stuck inside the neck of the brass, do you guys like to trim before you size or after?

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I thought you always trimmed AFTER sizing, whether neck or full-length. Seems odd that the ID is smaller after the neck is sized down, tho.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
After; always; when you size, your mouth can get longer on one side or another and your brass can lengthen buy varying amounts. We are talking about hairs here though.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Seems odd that the ID is smaller after the neck is sized down, tho.

Confused Really? bewildered roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I trim after I size

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerIt really depends what size pilot you have. Do some before some after. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If it becomes annoying you can touch some sandpaper to the pilot and make it a tiny bit smaller to where it doesn't hang up, either by just turning the arbor or removing it and chucking in a drill.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you de burring inside and out side the case neck before you re size?

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
are you de burring inside and out side the case neck before you re size?

Before? no, just after trimming Should I be?

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Harmon:
I noticed if I trim my brass before I run it through the neck sizer, the pilot gets stuck inside the neck of the brass, do you guys like to trim before you size or after?

Always size and then trim and deburr. Because you are trimming and then resizing it is most likely an inside burr that is sticking the pilot inside the neck that has just been sized down. You think you have de-burred properly but maybe not? Or a lack of inside neck lubricant?

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan Harmon: Your pilot is a tad too large in diameter to use on resized brass, so chuck it in a drill press and reduce its diameter by a few 1000dths with emory cloth.

Here is the proper order of things:

1. Resize.
2. Trim.
3. Inside and outside chamfer.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I trim after FL sizing only. Never done it after neck sizing.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I do as others above do. Size, then trim. When I trim I use one of these World's Finest Trimmer
Scroll down the page and watch the videos.

Seriously, it will crank out the cases! I'm never chucking up a case in a trimmer again!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. Still learning. How often do you guys run your brass through the tumbler? And, do you de-prime before or after tumbling?

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is important in trimming is that you get an accurate measurement of the length of your cases before they are chambered.In order to accomplish this your cases should be trimmed just before they are loaded and seated.This means you need to trim after full length sizing,partial sizing or neck sizing.
If you trim before you size you cannot predict or know how long the case will be after you size because sizing will increase or change the length of your cases.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to get the size before you get the trim.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Still learning. How often do you guys run your brass through the tumbler? And, do you de-prime before or after tumbling?

I don't always polish my cases at every loading. If I'm doing a lot of shooting they may barely be tarnished.
Usually I polish first. It cleans them and sizing will be easier. I've polished after occasionally and find media in the flash holes that must be cleaned out before loading them.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Seems odd that the ID is smaller after the neck is sized down, tho.

Confused Really? bewildered roger

I guess I was tired when I posted that!

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't use a tumbler any more. I use an ultrasonic cleaner. So much faster.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
What is important in trimming is that you get an accurate measurement of the length of your cases before they are chambered.In order to accomplish this your cases should be trimmed just before they are loaded and seated.This means you need to trim after full length sizing,partial sizing or neck sizing.
If you trim before you size you cannot predict or know how long the case will be after you size because sizing will increase or change the length of your cases.

Errr . . . this seems to me to be dispositive.

It's what I live by.

Isn't "what goes into the chamber" . . . well . . . the bottom line, if the case has been trimmed to acceptable limits?

If there's a case to be made against this . . . pray . . . tell me before I, you know, endanger myself and those around me when I touch off a reloaded round . . .

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I dont use a pilot

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Part of my reloading sequence is to trim the cases. I always trim after I neck size. I don't always trim anything but they all get run through the trimmer.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always trim rifle cases after resizing.....

1. Resize
2. Measure! (I skip trimming if under max OAL)
3. Trim
4. Deburr(if I trimmed or it is needed)

I will measure straight-walled pistol cases and pull any that are over max, otherwise resize and load on my progressive. Rifle cases I always do in two runs (not fully progressive on my Hornady LNL) to allow for the measuring and trimming steps.....

It works well for me!

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I run my cases through the tumbler after resizing when they have been resized using a lubricant. The tumbling will efficiently remove the lubricant better than any other method (with the possible exception of ultrasonic). The only other time I tumble is when the cases have become so tarnished that they are cosmetically repulsive.

Tumbling is a way to both clean cases of foreign matter and give them a cosmetic polishing. The only need for tumbling is to remove foreign matter; cosmetic improvement is strictly a matter of aesthetics. And while it is true that a thin layer of oxidized brass on the exterior of the case may make it theoretically less slick, this effect is not enough to impact the way it feeds or the "wall grip" in the chamber when fired.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote