Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Nickel case necks tight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted
I started loading some once fired winchester nickel cases for 30-06 as i have used before with the same dies and encountered unusually high neck tension enough to shave copper from the jacket. It is the same expander ball i've used on numerous other nickel and brass cases. The primer pockets feel substantially looser than they should as well. I fired these cases new from a box of fail safe's so i know where they came from but the quality seems to be crap. Anyone encountered this?

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I re-load a lot of NP cases, specifically from Win factory ammo, like your fail-safes. I haven't ever encountered the problem you are having, but I have a hunting friend that has told me that he has had more springback on some of his once fired cases in the Win NP stuff....

Maybe try sizing them a couple of times to minimize springback??? I hate to even bring it up but annealing might help--I know that's a whole other can of worms!

No thoughts on the loose primer pockets, never had that either, try some different brand of primers maybe...

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote