Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 Winchester
 Login/Join

posted
Had Winchester hi wall in 405 for years but never used it, loaded some 300 hornady with max of 4895(59) gr.
Shot tow does and cull buck with it. does 110 to 120# and cull buck 160#. Does were quartering. One shot into shoulder and it exited right before the ham, second doe entered shoulder and wound up under back side of ham bulging out of skin. Buck broadside. the does were 165 and 225 yards.
Needless to say I was thoroughly impressed.
Someone told me they load a 300 barnes with reloader 7 and achieve 2400 fps. Has anyone done this.
ON that hunt, I had a really good buck at 325 yards but didn't try the shot because I had never fired the rifle at 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always thought a .405 would be a good cal.to have. There is a .45-70 upstairs on a Siames Mauser action that keeps getting my attention.
Am glad to hear your success.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the .405 worked out for you!!!

I have two .405 Winchesters, an original '95 and a Ruger No. 1-H Tropical. Haven't shot the original yet but the Ruger has seen a few rounds through it.

I haven't heard of anyone getting 2400 FPS from RL-7 but Hodgdon's Benchmark will supposedly push the Hornady 300-grainers to 2404 FPS per their website data. Benchmark is one powder I haven't used yet but since I have two pounds of it (and an Oehler 35P chrono) it is definitely worth a try.

My favorite powder for the .405 bar none is IMR 4320 at around 57.0-58.0 grains with the Hornady 300-grain pills; amazingly consistent. Alliant's RL-15 did NOT work well for me, your mileage may vary.

I am one BIG fan of the .405 Winchester cartridge, if only for its nostalgia and the fact that it is one of the best rifles I've ever shot while having a head cold because it kicks the SNOT out of me...

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, the Hornady is great the one I recovered only shel very little weight and those deer looked like they were hammered when hit.
Have you tried long range with yours? my longest shot was 225, I am going to shoot 300, have a 1.5 x 6 Swarovski w/ 30mm tube I think it is a great rig

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot it long range (just punch paper for now) but 300-yard shots would certainly be do-able. 'Ammo and Ballistics' Fourth Edition shows roughly the same foot-pounds of energy at 300 yards versus a typical .30-30 at 100 yards (with 150 or 170-grainers in said .30-30). The Hornady Spire Point 300-grain bullets do show a slight ballistic advantage in these tables but I thought it would be considerably larger; however, the retained energy at 300 yards is about 125 ft-lbs. greater. Never hurts to have extra thump, especially farther out.

On an aside, one day I got talking with an employee at a semi-local gun shop I used to frequent (they no longer sell firearms... BUMMER!) and he said he knew someone who regularly hunts deer with a .405 because he prefers them DRT instead of chasing 'em down. Good reason to use it in my opinion.

I wish you the very best hunting with your .405 Winchester.

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low velocity Jelly bean shaped bullets require a lot of practice at long range, even with a scope. Practice, practice, practice!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just received a box of Barns spritzers will see how they work

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Hope you all had a fine Christmas.
I can't see going to the expense of jacketed bullets for this caliber. I bought a 1,000 blems must have been Hornady, they help hold the loading bench down. Never fired a single one. I'll let my grandsons figure out what to do with them.
I shoot a 350 grain gas checked bullet with a case full of IMR 3031 out of my Winchester 95 (Jap)
Not shot game with it but it a fine accurate load out to 200 yard gongs.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Cabela's in town has a very clean TD in 405W for less than a grand.

The choice is killing me, go to the SHOT Show next month, or buy the TD.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the SHOT show you might spend more.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crashbox:
My favorite powder for the .405 bar none is IMR 4320 at around 57.0-58.0 grains with the Hornady 300-grain pills; amazingly consistent. Alliant's RL-15 did NOT work well for me, your mileage may vary.

+1, my experience mirrors this.

405wcf

posted Hide Post
Just tried 300 gr. Barnes, loaded to length they recommend and did 56.5 Varget, this = 1" at 100 yards.
Will load some and sight in for 200 then shoot at 300. This Winchester hi wall has 28" barrel, don't know what velocity I am getting.