New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes .308 250 grain?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My manual (Loadbooks, USA manual) shows loads for the 250 grain Barnes bullet in my .300 mag (shown in the Barnes data and a couple of powder companies' data). I can't find 'em anywhere, and looking on Barnes' website, it appears they're no longer made. Anybody know where I might check that might have some backstocked?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you can not find any what about the woodleigh 240gr sp
in .308

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Things like this come up occasionally on eBay.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
What on earth would one want to do w/ such an animal?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Hawk makes similar bullets (pure lead pressed into a copper jacket) in that weight. Barnes dropped theirs more than a year ago, I believe. I'd second the recommendation to consider the 240 gn Woodleighs instead. They are bonded, but if your fps is low enough, that may not be a concern.

quote:
What on earth would one want to do w/ such an animal?

Advocates of super high SD bullets have been vocal for nearly a century now. I have to believe it is still a sound formula. Keep the fps modest and enjoy the penetration from nearly any angle you choose.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I believe I have most of a box somewhere. Email or PM me and I'll have a look for them if you're interested.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Advocates of super high SD bullets have been vocal for nearly a century now. I have to believe it is still a sound formula. Keep the fps modest and enjoy the penetration from nearly any angle you choose.

While I agree SD is good there comes a point when things get alittle ridiculous IMO but hey, I respect yours as well.

Seems to me 250 is a bit much to ask of a .308 cal rifle. If you need more performance than a quality 200 or 220 can give you, you most likely need to invest in a .338 or possibly .375...

Not to mention stability issues of such a long bullet. What twist are you fellas shooting these 250s in?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote