THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Lee Collet Dies & Improved Cartridges. Use Standard Round Die??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Collet Dies & Improved Cartridges. Use Standard Round Die??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents, a question about dies for my .280 AI...

I have seen references in here to people using the Lee Collet die for the "standard" cartridge (in my case the .280 Rem) to size the improved case (.280 AI). Can you confirm that this works?? (I'd prefer to spend $25 for a standard Collet die, rather than $50 for Lee to make a custom die, although I will pay that amount if need be).

I have also found references to a trick with using a washer to fit over the case mouth, to close the collet a tad earlier - sizing only part of the neck. Is it possible to set the shoulder back using a Collet Die adjusted as in the instructions?? I.e. is there ever a need to use the washer trick from a safety point of view??

Also: Lee lists "7mm Express" and no .280 Rem in their Collet die line-up ( Lee Collet Die Page). I know the .280 Rem was a "7mm Express" at one stage, but I have never seen that name used anywhere else these days. Would this be the right caliber??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use standard Lee Collet dies on all my improved cases with no problems. There is no way to bump the shoulder with a Lee collet. You need a full length die to do that. That said I haven�t full length sized a case in years. I like them to close tight in my gun. I get my best accuracy this way.

I never even considered using a washer with my collet dies. When you get your cases fire formed to your chamber they will register on the shoulder and the bullets seem well centered that way.

[ 11-23-2003, 20:51: Message edited by: Hired Gun ]

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is that I have loaded thousands of 22-250 Ackley Improved cartridges using a standard Lee Collett die intended for the 22-250 Remington case. It works just fine, I do not even own a set of 22-250 AI dies, just use the Lee set up.

It works just fine, and I would not mess with the washer business.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers,
What are you using to seat the bullet?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee collet dies in 338 Win for neck sizing the 338-06 cases. The Norma 30-06 brass was expanded to 338 and then sized according to Lee's instructions. The first firing went well but when I resized the cases only about 2/3 of the neck was sized and a small bludge in the neck appeared above the shoulder where the collet finished sizing. I can't explain why this happened nor can the people at Lee. The cases where cycled thru action and seem to function ok, therefore I completed the loading process and plan to shoot the rounds next week. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Posts: 115 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,..I have first hand experience with a problem reguarding the collet dies. They WILL bulge the shoulders/body if you tighten them too far. I was trying to get a little more neck tension for a 300wm 700KS. I turned a little too far down and got a bulge. This is in no way a caveat to these fine dies,..just a word of advice.

I have used them for 3 different rifles so far and am VERY pleased with the concentricity they produce. Just a word to the wise.

As far as AI calibers,..I see no reason they will not do a fine job,..but with the extended case body,..test a round after final sizing to be sure this does not present itself.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHO, the .280 and 7mm express are the same cartridge. I think I will get this right, if not somebody correct me. The 280 came out in the pump gun, but when Rem started to chamber it in the bolt action, it was not selling good. They changed the name to 7mm express and some time later changed it back to .280. Either way it is a mighty fine cartridge.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent Lee $50 and two fired .223AI cases and said to make me a new collet die. They shipped me a standard .223 Rem die and the difference in price with a note stating that a special IMPROVED die was not needed. I've used it for years now and it works as advertized.

This from the newest Sierra manual: The .280 Remington...In a public relations move the cartridge was reintroduced as the 7mm-06 in 1979. Realizing the potential for confusion with the already established 7mm-06 wildcat, which has slightly different headspace dimentions, Remington re-introduced the round as the 7mm Remington Express just a few months later. THIS created even more chaos, as customers confused the 7mm Express and the 7mm Magnum, sometimes with disastrous results. Confused? So was the buying public. Remington changed the name back to its original .280 Remington a few years later.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, GREAT feedback! Thanks a ton!

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the regular 30-30 collet die bulges the shoulder, you can order a Hornady 30 cal. Short necksizing die and just resize the neck, check with Hornady first if you go this route. I found out the hard way that a regular 7 mm. neck sizing die would not give the proper neck tension when trying to neck down 30-30 brass to 7 mm. to form in my 7-30 Waters.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In response to Clark, I just use the seating die that came in the Lee Collett die set. It is a 22-250 Remington set, with a sizer and a bullet seater. I find that it will size AND seat 22-250 AI ammo with no problems.

Every now and again I get tempted to buy a proper 22-250 AI die set, maybe a Redding, but then figure why bother?

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote