Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H w/ RL 17, 300 gr. Swift A-Frames
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aloha reloaders,
I have not been able to find data for RL 17, even on Alliant's website.

Would appreciate some recipes from those who have used RL 17.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=22458

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37783 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for the link reference. Will try with conservative loads and work up as the poster did.

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what I do in my custom CZ-550 Magnum.

Look here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...631031181#8631031181

What I finaly found the best is OAL 3.48 and 76gr of RL-17. Norma brass. Give very tight groups and 790 m/s (2591 fps). Doesn't use anything else. Works the same (maybe 10fps difference) in Federal Brass too.

Jiri

Posts: 2105 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
73 grains of RL 17 with a North Fork 300 FPS and 74 grains of RL 17 with a North Fork 300 SS. 3 shots of each cover less than 3/4" at 100 yards. Velocity is 2500 FPS from a 22" Barrel. I use 1 less grain with the FPS because it seats deeper at the crimp groove. 74 grains with the Swift was 2480 FPS but was not as accurate in my rifle.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Adamsdjr:

My velocity is from 25" barrel. What brass and primers do you use? I had not good accuracy when crimping to crimping groove. Now if bullet (300gr A-Frame) is seated deeper, accuracy is great.

What I found with RL-17 in .375 H&H and 8x57JS is, that it must be compressed to burn consistently (very low SD of chronographed velocities).

Did you found NorthFork 300SS better than A-Frames? Only what I dislike on A-frame is copper fouling.

Jiri

Posts: 2105 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri,
Thanks for the reference. I'll give it a try.

Geoff

Shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Adamsdjr:

My velocity is from 25" barrel. What brass and primers do you use? I had not good accuracy when crimping to crimping groove. Now if bullet (300gr A-Frame) is seated deeper, accuracy is great.

What I found with RL-17 in .375 H&H and 8x57JS is, that it must be compressed to burn consistently (very low SD of chronographed velocities).

Did you found NorthFork 300SS better than A-Frames? Only what I dislike on A-frame is copper fouling.

Jiri

Jiri, I am using Federal 215 primers and Hornady brass. My loads are lightly crimped. I have not found that RL 17 needs to be compressed to shoot accurately, in fact 69 grains with the 300 NFSS is extremely accurate. I only moved up to 73 grains to bump the velocity up a bit. I have not found the A-frames to be as accurate in my rifles as the North Fork or even the Barnes TSX. That includes 375 H&H, 404 Jeff, 300 Win to name a few. The North Fork also have performed perfectly on plains game, leopard and cape buff for me. I'm sure the Swift would perform well also, I just have found the NF to be much more accurate in my rifles. Also, they have a solid and a cup point solid to go with the soft and I have always been able to easily get them all to shoot to the same point of impact.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Adamsdjr:

Thanks for info. I will try to get some NorthFork in Europe, but it is a very long way.

A very like RL-17. It is consistent, clean burning. Life of brass is excellent etc. I believe I can get much higher velocity, but why . . .

Regards,
Jiri