New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring recoil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a chart or formula that will let me compare the foot-pounds of generated recoil from a particular firearm with another? The numbers do not have to be exact for what I want.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_507581...te-rifle-recoil.html

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Doubt it would be relevant anyhow, unless you are "average" in body type, sensitivity, etc. IMO you would just do well to get a stock/model that fits your body and stick with heavier weapons or do extensive recoil-managing 'smithing.

Everyone has some upper limit on what's comfortable. Mine stops at .416 Rigby in a fitted CZ 550 Safari Magnum package, and my Brno .375 probably is where I'm comfortable.

2 cents

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R D McMillan:
Is there a chart or formula that will let me compare the foot-pounds of generated recoil from a particular firearm with another? The numbers do not have to be exact for what I want.

If you download "pointblank", a ballistics program that is free to download, it has a built in recoil calculator, just type in the numbers it asks for, and it will spit out the recoil in lbs/ft.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much. My daughter in law wants a rifle that she can confidently take up to Moose sized game. She has some issues with her back and shoulders so I want to see that she gets the most shooter friendly recoil that will still get the job done. At present I am leaning toward either a 6.5X55 or a 308. I thought I might could load a 308 lighter for practice and then give her some heavier loads for actual hunting.

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I've found / noticed when comparing recoil levels is to pay attention to the "recoil velocity" as well as the ft/lb number. A lower velocity number seems to take a lot of the sting out of a equal ft/lb numbers.
IOW what some folks describe as a "push" (low velocity) vs a "punch" (high velocity).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1. It's all about the recoil velocity. The higher the velocity the more sting it will cause. I would look hard at the 7-08. That's all my wife and son use. Start with a weak charge and go from there. Best of luck.

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course it is the recoil velocity. Recoil
is an impulse MassxVelocity (MOMENTUM).
You don't feel recoil Energy.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
A heavier, slower bullet has more 'push' than 'kick'. Have you considered a suppressor or moderator? That'll take the bite right out of it. I don't know if a shrouded muzzle brake is allowable in your parts. It's just a muzzle brake with a shroud that redirects the blast forward without reducing the blast (although I'd imagine it would 'soften' the blast).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Formulas will give you "free recoil". Stance and mounting will change how recoil is perceived. Off hand has "more" recoil than prone, the tighter the rifle is in the pocket the less "free recoil" it can develope. Body mass becomes part of the recoil equation.

For a rifle I'd look at the .308/.30-06 range (maybe .270?) and work up from light loads to hunting loads.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im recoil sensitive (sometimes rough for a guide) so I pay attention to rifle build, fit and weight. Use all the tricks when necc such asvrecoil reducers etc.

Posts: 70 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote