New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overall Loaded Bullet Weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, im new to handloading. After completely loading 5 rounds of 22-250, i weighed each individual round. 4 rounds were close to the same overall weight, while 1 round was lighter. Why is this?

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's not the bullet, it's either the case or the powder charge.

Pull the bullet and find out which.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much lighter?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I will say with 99.9% certanty that it is the variation a case to case weight not bullet/powder.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weights do you consider close?
It could be the bullet, case, powder… who knows…
The brass weight varies greatly even if taken from one set of 20 Factory loaded cartridges. The bullets also vary quite a bit…
Unless you weigh all the components you are hard pressed to figure it out
I’m one of the crazies who weigh bullets (and separate into batches of exact weights) and cases (separate into batches of +/- .5 grs) before priming (and weigh again after priming) and weigh each charge.
I add up the all the individual weights and get an estimated cartridge weight… then I weigh the completed cartridge which should be within +/- .3 grains of my estimated weight range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:
What weights do you consider close?
It could be the bullet, case, powder… who knows…
The brass weight varies greatly even if taken from one set of 20 Factory loaded cartridges. The bullets also vary quite a bit…
Unless you weigh all the components you are hard pressed to figure it out
I’m one of the crazies who weigh bullets (and separate into batches of exact weights) and cases (separate into batches of +/- .5 grs) before priming (and weigh again after priming) and weigh each charge.
I add up the all the individual weights and get an estimated cartridge weight… then I weigh the completed cartridge which should be within +/- .3 grains of my estimated weight range.

wow, that is some serious dedication!!!

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It depends, you could have a variation of as much as 5gr in a loaded round like the 22-250. It's why it's almost impossible to verify charge wts. but weighing the entire loaded round. The larger the case & bullet, the greater variation that is possible.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's important that you determine if the variation is in the weight of the powder charge. If your charge weight is not consistent, you have a potentially dangerous situation. It's also necessary to determine the cause of any charge weight variation so that it may be corrected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The situation is dangerous only if you are running a load that is way beyond red line. Please, this sport, while needing a careful attention to detail, is no more dangerous than hobby shopping with power tools.
We still haven't learned HOW MUCH difference there was in the weighed cartridge. To the one poster, while a variance of .3 grains might be an irritation, I daresay, it wouldn't create a dangerous situation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey guys, I'm new to handloading. After completely loading 5 rounds of 22-250, I weighed each individual round. 4 rounds were close to the same overall weight, while 1 round was lighter. Why is this?

Do you throw your powder straight from the measure into the case? Some powder measures will vary a bit from charge to charge. For real accurate measuring, I set my measure about half a grain low, then trickle up to weight with a Redding powder trickler over my RCBS Rangemaster 750 scale. I do this for my 300WSM target loads. I just throw the .223 plinkin' loads. If they hit a VW Bug at 50 yards, I'm happy...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote