Find
Notify
Tools

Finding RL-19 or Ramshot Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Struggling with a 210 Nosler load for my 338 win mag. Have an old can of IMR 4350 that gave off a brownish residue when I started to reload with it. Might be just a touch old.... Smiler

So I have RL-19 and Hunter powders. About enough of each for loading a couple boxes for Africa in August. Problem is, I don't want to end up short, and can't seem to find these powders in the Phoenix area. Or...Cabelas, Midway, GunBroker, etc.

Any ideas why these are so tough to find?

I can find some more IMR 4350, but was not sure I want to spring for the 8lbs. that is the only size available. Would like, ideally, RL-19. Mystery to me why I can find RL-15, 17,22 and so on, but not the 19.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I too use and like Ramshot Hunter along with Big Game and have not been able to find any for over a year now. I also have stopped believing that us nasty reloaders are hoarding Powder. Somebody may be hoarding powder but if that is true, that somebody is putting it in Government Warehouses somewhere.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the powder manufacturer for Western Powder either had an explosion or burned several months back. I am sure that has had a huge impact on their ability to supply powder, as to go to someone else would require completely re-engineering their data and recipes, if that is the proper term...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
My understanding is that the powder manufacturer for Western Powder either had an explosion or burned several months back. I am sure that has had a huge impact on their ability to supply powder, as to go to someone else would require completely re-engineering their data and recipes, if that is the proper term...

I also heard this explanation for the absence of Alliant Red Dot powder. I hope they can get this resolved soon, as I am using RL 19 for my 300 Win Mag.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not what you asked, but if you can find Imr 4831, that is what Waters suggested.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of moved2ski
posted Hide Post
I know it's a drive, but if you are in the Las Vegas area I have a half pound of r19 I can spare.

Posts: 51 | Location: Las Vegas via Nebraska | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
You are most kind, but what I've done is buy a supply of IMR 4350 (8 lbs. - urk!) and took it to the range this week. Tried out that powder against RL-19 and the 4350 was the better choice. 1 1/4" group at 100 vs. 1 3/4".

So thanks very much for your offer. Genuinely appreciated.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as an encore, I wanted to buy powder recently to load a hand gun caliber in collaboration with my grandson who is learning. I searched for days/weeks all over the USA and came up empty.

The problem presently is the current administration's anti gun scare in the USA. Reloaders/ gun owners are rushing suppliers and "stocking up". There is an unprecedented demand.

Finally, after a long wait, my local gun store got some in. The owner of the store is a friend of the owner of Hodgdon. The clerks tell me that they don't speak to the Hodgdon sales people but rather directly to the owner.

I checked a couple of days ago and my store did have some powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the top powders are hard to find and to add injury to insult, when you do find it, get ready to pay cost of powder, hazmat fee, and shipping and handling. Before you know it, a can of powder cost $60 or more...what a rip off!