New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 win mag headspace
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Never thought I'd have to ask, but after looking I guess I have to: what does this round headspace on? It looks to me like the belt is the only thing it could.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cobrad-Just on the belt,which I feel is
best way for straight cases. I have wildcats
cases up to huge doing it that way.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always resized my belted mags to headspace on the shoulder, and have had what I feel is really good case life this way. How will headspacing on the belt affect case life and the possibility of head separation?

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I full-length all straight-walled cases.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned it headspaces on the belt. Case life will be determined by how good your headspace is and how close the cases are to specification.

From memory the headspace of the chamber is .220" to .227" If you need the data for the cartridge case ask. You could measure the actual dimension of the belts on the brass you have. I made a "headspace gage" by soft soldering a bit of solder to a case and chambering it and then measuring it.

Other factors affecting case life will be how hot your loads are and the adheshion to the chamber.

Hang onto that thing when you shoot it!

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I thought I was a pretty knowledgable reloader, but have never loaded anything straight walled except pistol. Humbling to run head first into the end of what I think I know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back a few years ago John Ricks posted about how the belts on the brass were way off and he showed a gage he made.

That was one of the first big go arounds on belted headspace when many did not understand it.

A belt on a case like the 458 is a very good idea and much better than a rim for a magazine rifle. It just has to be done right thats all.

Just check inside your fired brass with a wire like any other case.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has to be done right.Some belted chambers
are sloppy and some good.I get mine snug, so
that cases last dozens of firings on
little ones and couple hundred on big ones.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
Thanks guys. Humbling to run head first into the end of what I think I know.

If you ain't thinking then you may as well give it up. That's what I really enjoy about reloading and hunting, just when I think I got it figured out I'm left scratching my head. Cobrad, Humbling maybe, but smart as well to realize you still have some more rope to pull in.

Woody

PS: And I hope the end is never in sight.

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
I full-length all straight-walled cases.

May I ask why? I'm in the exact same boat as cobrad, & can't seem to get my brain around the situation.
At the moment I'm PFLS, maybe about 0.5" up from the belt. This seems to neck size enough, and yet leaves the case big enough to get the needed amount of powder in with out too much compression.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote