Find
Notify
Tools

22/250 ACKLEY
 Login/Join

<dennis hepner>
posted
SAEED,
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE TWIST OF THE HART BARREL YOU USED IN THE RELOADING PAGES?
I,M BUILDING A 22/250 ACKLEY/ SHILEN BBL./14" TWIST.
I,M TRULY IMPRESED WITH THE WIDE SPECTRUM OF BULLET WEIGHTS THAT IT WILL STABILIZE.
IMPRESSIVE NUMBERS INDEED.
ALSO YOU HAVE THE BEST GUN RELATED SITE ON THE PLANET.
TRIED E-MAILING THROUGH YAHOO BUT HAD PROBLEMS SETTING UP A E-MAIL ADDRESS.
THANKS,
DENNIS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would rethink that 1 in 14" twist. I have a 22-250 AI with a 1 in 12" and it is great. Another benefit is you can use a little heavier bullet if you want. In fact I will be using some 60 gr partitions this year for deer. Just something to consider. By the way I agree about the web site. [Smile]

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would go with a 1-9 twist if you are going to shoot primarily heavy bullets, 60 grain or above.

I have a 22-250AI with a Shilen barrel with the 1-9 twist and it will handle 80 grainers and down, although, I shoot either 60 grain vmax or 75 grain Amax 99% of the time.

Just my experience, may or may not be what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by outlawsix:
I would rethink that 1 in 14" twist. I have a 22-250 AI with a 1 in 12" and it is great. Another benefit is you can use a little heavier bullet if you want. In fact I will be using some 60 gr partitions this year for deer. Just something to consider. By the way I agree about the web site. [Smile]

outlawsix,
thanks for comment.i don't plan on shooting anything heavier than 55's.
it impressed me that the test rifle would group 35gr.to 60gr bullets.
what powder do you like in your ACKLEY?
thanks,
dennis

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos:
Personally, I would go with a 1-9 twist if you are going to shoot primarily heavy bullets, 60 grain or above.

I have a 22-250AI with a Shilen barrel with the 1-9 twist and it will handle 80 grainers and down, although, I shoot either 60 grain vmax or 75 grain Amax 99% of the time.

Just my experience, may or may not be what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Pecos

pecos,
i already bought the barrel. i plan on shooting 55's most of the time. i have two 6m/m's here if i want to shoot heavier bullets.
i need a set of 22/250 ACKLEY dies if anyone has some.
thanks,
dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only powder I've used in mine is IMR-4895. Since it will put 10 hornady moly 50 gr v-max's in .5" at 100 yds I figured it wasn't worth all the trouble of trying different combos. All this is with a cheap scope. I have been using nosler manuels and found that their recomendations are pretty much dead on in my barrels.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by outlawsix:
The only powder I've used in mine is IMR-4895. Since it will put 10 hornady moly 50 gr v-max's in .5" at 100 yds I figured it wasn't worth all the trouble of trying different combos. All this is with a cheap scope. I have been using nosler manuels and found that their recomendations are pretty much dead on in my barrels.

OUTLAWSIX,
I HAVE OWNED QUITE A FEW 22/250'S OVER THE YEARS AND MY PET LOAD WAS 35.5GR OF IMR4895 50-55GR SIERRA AND CCI BR2. THIS LOAD SHOT WELL IN ALL THE RIFLES AND OUTSTANDING IN MOST.
SINCE I HAVE A QUANTITY OF 4895 ON HAND I GUESS I'LL START THERE.
THANKS,
DENNIS