New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 Waters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if there were any 7-30 Waters reloaders out there? Awaiting the arrival of my Contender barrel and dies. I will be handloading for it. I have 30-30 brass coming in for it and have been told it will need to be fireformed.

Any suggestions on loading for it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use either the 120 gr. Hornady single-shot pistol bullet or the 140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip for hunting. I use Win. 748 for either bullet. Some people like the 120 gr. ballistic tip, but it seems to fragile for me when I used it on a couple of antelope. I have taken several deer and antelope with my 7-30, plus one mountain lion and lots of varmints. It is a great handgun caliber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carbine length? I use RL-15 with Hornady 120 gr. (not SSP's) and get 2800 fps out of a 24" barrel (T/C Custom Shop). Accuracy is good hovering around an inch, plus or minus. Those are fireforming loads.

Size the 30-30 cases just until the action will completely close without having to "snap" it shut.

My 12-year-old shot four deer with it this fall. The rifle is super-lightweight. Maybe TOO light. In the field, keeping it steady through the trigger squeeze and follow through is a little tougher than with a heavier weapon.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I used the W-748 for 14" Contender barrel.

35.5 grs.=2300fp with 120 gr. SSP bullet.

FYI-You can also buy 7-30 Waters brass from EA Brown, resizing and fireforming the 30-30 works great.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote