THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Changing neck from one size to another on rifle cartridge?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing neck from one size to another on rifle cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
I did Google search and came up with Nata. I acquired some 375 H&H brass and was wondering best way to neck it down to 7 MM STW.

I crushed the first one I tried with my 7 MM STW FL die. Does this mean I need an intermediate die to neck down in increments, or just need better lube?

Is there any good internet articles you can point me to?

Thank for any help.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were it my time and money I'd trade the H&H cases for some factory 7 STW brass, or least some 8mm Rem Mag empties. Otherwise you're stuck with an intermediate sizing step, or two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats what I thought, the cost of a die dosn't make it worth it for the few cases I have.

Then again I might just have to build a 375 H&H since I have the cases. LOL

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:
I did Google search and came up with Nata. I acquired some 375 H&H brass and was wondering best way to neck it down to 7 MM STW.

I crushed the first one I tried with my 7 MM STW FL die.

Does this mean I need an intermediate die to neck down in increments, or just need better lube?

Or both! Going from .375" down to .284 " is a big jump! I have to use a .25-cal intermediate die to go from .284 to .243". I would size that .375 to .338", then to .308", before trying .284". And use a LOT of lube on the NECK!

I made some .308 Norma cases from some Win. .375 H&H brass. Used a .338 Win. sizer as an intermediate step. But I had the dies, and a large number of .375 H&H cases to convert.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8mm -> 7mm -> .257 works perfectly.

That is ~ 10 ~ 12% steps.

308 -> 243 not as good.
That is 27% step.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:

.338 mag no expander to .300 Wini. no expander than the 7mm.((""BARDAHL"")) Roll EyesOr not Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, now I just need to find someone with some of these dies.