Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a Rem 700 Classic
 Login/Join

<Matt_G>
posted
I just saw a Model 700 Classic in 7mm-08 at a gun store I frequent for $569.00
Does anyone here own a Classic? (in any chambering)
I am interested in hearing your opinions on this rifle. I am thinking of buying it to use for Hunting Rifle Silhouette shooting. The way I like to shoot, I would probably shoot this thing out in a few years and have the makings of a good project.

According to Remington's web site the 7mm-08 was last year's offering. Sure is a nice looking rifle.
(Note how I'm talking myself into this already!)

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Matt G -
If they've got it and you like it, I say Go For It!!

I own numerous Classics, mostly from back when the Classic was a standard model in the 700 line. Like most 700's, a little trigger work and some playing around with the bedding and you've got a real shooter.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good units, I prefer the fit and handling to the BDLs. Had one in 7mm WBY that went to a good buddy who hasn't missed yet., My other unit is a 6.5x55 that is an absolute gem that has accounted for coyotes muleys, Whitetails and antelope. 7mm-08 should make an ideal deer gun. Boy. at $920 Can,Guns are not cheap in your territory!

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has one in .243, that dates from 1983. When she bought it, it had spent most of its life in storage, and so was in mint condition. It shoots 75 gr Vmax under an inch. Her only dislike is for the glossy stock finish, although the actual stock shape is excellent.

They are quite rare here in Australia, with only five of the 7/08 version having been imported (I tried to get one, but too late). I'm seriously considering an order for one of the new .221 versions.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Matt_G>
posted
Thanks a bunch for the comments guys. You sealed the deal. I am going to go buy it tomorrow.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two -- a .375 H&H and a .300 Weatherby -- and like them a lot. I very much prefer them to the 700BDL. Both of mine have very good triggers.

When I first got the .375 it was somewhat rough handling, but shooting it a lot and handling and dry firing it a lot have taken care of that. The .300 Weatherby had an insufficiently polished chamber when I first got it -- so much so that I had to hammer the bolt open after firing loads that were not overly hot -- but some work with emery cloth and steel wool took care of that.

My .375 is quite accurate -- I've gotten groups of under .4 inch with it at 100 yards, and both of my rifles have "fast" barrels, meaning that they give top velocities with my best loads.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's a rem classic in 6.5 x 55 that's 99% (like new), no box or papers, with one inch pachmayr decellerator rifle pad installed going for these days. I have one that I'm thinking about selling.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RJS, if you decide on that 6.5x55, let me know, I might be interested. Where you at in the US? I,m in West Virginia.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I've got the '88 model in .25-06. I like the stock a lot better than the monte carlo styles. It is also the second most accurate rifle I have ever shot. It regularly puts 3 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips into the low .2s.

------------------
The older I get the better I was.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Sarge,
What load are you useing with the BT's?
My Classic doesn't like them so far.
So far IMR 4831 and Speer 100gr. flat base bullets are the best so far.....

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Dan,

I use 56 grains of IMR4831 in a Rem case and Rem 9 1/2 primers. I haven't chrono'd it yet but it's pretty fast.

------------------
The older I get the better I was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 243 and a 7/08 in the classic,love both of them.made my longest shot on a 4 point buck a few yrs back with the 243 at 287 yds,in the throat.
The stocks on mine are dull looking but look very good.I changed the stock on the 7/08 to the rem composite stock,haven't worked up a load for it yet but took one buck this past year at 40 yds,using the 139sst bullet from hornady.
$569 is the same price I paid for mine too.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two, a .280 Rem and a .300 H&H, love them both. I wish Remington would redo the BDL's too, they look so gaudy anymore. I just buy ADL's or older BDL's then re work them. IMHO the Rem 700's are still the most accurate production rifles with a little tinkering.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote