Find
Notify
Tools

Continuing Saga- 22PPCx7.62X39 plus
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
After sizing down the 7.62s with 5 gradual diameter decreasing bushings, and neck turning, the cases were run threw the FL sizing die. These sat over night and in the morning the trim to length began. As the cases came out of the FL die the night before they fit the turning mandrel. Come morning a fare number would not accept the mandrel. These were run through the FL die again to expand and they went onto the mandrel just fine. It would lead one to think that there was a shrinkage problem? This is the first time in 53years of loading and wildcating that I've seen this condition. EekerThe learning process never ceases!
Lest you wonder why this is being done; the intent is to compare the capacity and test these cases with identical loadings to the Norma cases. So far we know that the Norma cases yield great results.
55gr., bulk, psp Win.23.8 gr. acc2015 , fc 7.62x39 FC cases, ""WLRM"", oal= 2.030" Fire Formed. popcorn2952 to 3015 fps. ,Mild, Clean, 10 shot 3/4" group at 50 yds. including first two shots. Roll EyesCases fire formed beautifully.
WinkBest group of the day was shot by my cousin. 52gr. fb-hp, berger 27.7gr. IMR 4895, Norma case, WSR, oal=2.040". 5 shots 1/2" group at 100 yds. clap
This sow's ear is really looking good.
The case oal prior to fire form was 2.040" after fire form it was between 2.016 and 2.020".Everything has just seemed to go right on this project beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bartsche. My oft quoted trueism is added to this old saying and it is that while you may not be able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, you CAN make a pretty damm good pigskin wallet.

Interesting finding on the resized brass after it sat for the night. I wonder if you did a case neck thichness comparison on those that fit the mandrel and those that did not. Have you found any percievable reason for this anomally yet. Annealing at any stage in the necking process? I wonder if an annealing before the final pass through the FL die may have side stepped this condition. I have an increasing interest in the 6.5 Grendell and thought to form from the parent case as well if and when the project goes ahead.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
quote:

Bartsche. My oft quoted trueism is added to this old saying and it is that while you may not be able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, you CAN make a pretty damm good pigskin wallet.

Interesting finding on the resized brass after it sat for the night. I wonder if you did a case neck thichness comparison on those that fit the mandrel and those that did not.KIND A the wall thickness was measured on all and was within .0005" Have you found any percievable reason for this anomally yet. NON******Annealing at any stage in the necking process?I DID NOT HAVE TO ANNEAL I wonder if an annealing before the final pass through the FL die may have side stepped this condition. I THINK PERHAPS IT WOULD HAVE STOOD A DAMN GOOD CHANCEI have an increasing interest in the 6.5 Grendell and thought to form from the parent case as well if and when the project goes ahead. There aint a doubt in my wee little head that you can do it without a hitch

Von Gruff.
ROGER

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bitchy case to make isn't it. somewhere or another i accumulated a 6mm ppc form die. that took almost all the work out of it. it formed 762 to 6 in one shot and one pass thru the 22 ppc die and voila

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
bitchy case to make isn't it. somewhere or another i accumulated a 6mm ppc form die. that took almost all the work out of it. it formed 762 to 6 in one shot and one pass thru the 22 ppc die and voila

popcornDon't have a 6mm PPC die and if I try to form in one press through the 22-PPC die I get the big accordion. Frowner
Even using the bushings we get a little mushrooming. This, however, may be beneficial as when it is fire formed there is a little extra brass available preventing length shrinkage. wave
FYI; FC formed brass from 7.62x39 weighs 122.8 grns. Norma = 111.4grns. fc case + water weight =154grns., Norma case + water weight = 145grns.
ergo; fc capacity = 2.01cc, Norma= 2.14cc.;more than 10% difference. Roll Eyes
With this, plus the difference in primers, caution might be in order. beerroger