New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon vs RCBS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got a gift certificate from work that I can use at Cabelas. I am planning on getting a Dillon 550 as I shoot a lot of pistol and .223. My question is…… Should I get a Rockchucker as well? Cabelas doesn’t sell Dillon and I can get the RC master kit with the electronic scale and dispenser with my gift cert.

I’ve heard guys talk about using the RC for large rifle rounds and the 550 for pistol and small rifle. I was thinking the scale and dispenser would come in handy as well. Thoughts??

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Foster/Bonanza Co-Ax loading press and I like quite well. I don't know if Cabelas sells these are not.

The Rockchucker press has an oustanding reputation and easily handles large rifle rounds. I use to own the Jr. model with no complaints. I would buy the Rockchucker based on my RCBS experience. I Don't know about the electronic scale and dispenser. I've been looking at electronic scales and get mixed feedback from the folks that own them. I guess a good one is great and a bad one is a pain.

Bottom line: I would give the RC Master Kit a go with your gift certificate if you're comfortable with the electronic scale.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'm sold on the RC. I was just wondering if I'd end up getting stuff I didn't "need" by going with the RC and 550. I guess it's like all those rifles the wife kept asking if I really "needed" hmmm.... I guess I answered my own question.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
billhilly66, Buy the Rockchucker reloading kit first. It will load almost any caliber you want to load for now and in the future, all you have to do is buy new dies and a shellholder. With the Dillon buying different caliber setups can get pretty expensive.
Another consideration is that if you haven't reloaded before I think you should start off with a single stage press, learn to walk before you run. After you've reloaded with the Rock Chucker you will have a better idea of what calibers you want to reload enough of to justify the progressive press.
But you are on the right track, the Rock Chucker combo IMO is the best starting point for almost any reloader and Dillon's are only progressive presses I'd buy...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just about everything in the RC kit you'll use. Everyone should have a single stage press & a progressive. Trying to load small test batches on a progressive is a PITA. Merry Christmas! Big Grin

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd never stear anyone away from Dillon equipment, but I agree with every word fredj338 said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with an RCBS Jr press loaded 06,38/357,45-70,243 & 32-20 then I switched to the dillon RL450 and upgraded to the Dillon RL550B which I use to load 06,300wm,454 casull,45lc,243,45-70,sw460mag,41mag,38spec & 357.The Dillon has the best no bs guarantee for their presses they replace parts w/o charge.

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
You stated that you shoot a "lot of pistol". If this is the case, you'll get tired of loading pistol rounds on a Rock Chucker. Try loading 500 rounds of pistol ammo in one sitting on the single stage. If you have a Dillon 550, you can still use it for a single stage press, with the added benefit of having one of the best auto priming systems attached. Don't get me wrong, I have a RCBS Jr mounted to the press right next to my Dillon. If I'm only loading 20 rounds or so, I'll use it. If loading 50 or more, I'll set up the Dillon. I started loading 35 years ago with a Lee hand loader, and found out quickly that I would rather spend my time shooting than sitting at the reloading bench.

Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several presses on my bench, including a Rockchucker and a Dillon 550B.

I don't believe I've loaded as much as one single, solitary cartridge on the Rockchucker in over ten years, and I currently shoot thousands of rifle rounds per year.

The RC is a fine press, and it gets used for a lot of special jobs, but NOT for loading cartridges, which sounds strange, I know. Actually, the bulk of my loading is done on my turret press.

The Dillon 550 WILL handle big cartridges. There's ample room for my .416 Rigbys, for instance, although I don't need the amount of ammo in that caliber that the Dillon could turn out. A good friend here has only a 550B, and loads just one caliber....the .45-110 Sharps'(2.875" case)!

I certainly agree that a single-stage press is woefully slow for handgun loading. I bought my turret back in '67, and thought I'd gone to Heaven after doing the single-stage routine for a year or so.

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two Dillion 550B's.

One of them is set up with both neck size and full length die sizing. Simply turning to that station gives me what I want to do with that brass.

The other is set up with the primer bar, powder funnel, and bullet seater.

I like the fact that I can switch between calibers in less than 5 minutes and either be loading up shells or getting my brass ready.

As others have said, it depends what you want to do with your time.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also keep in mind you can convert the Rock Chucker to a progressive with the optional piggy back kit. The kits run about $280. I have no experience with them so I don't know how well they work compared to the Dillion progressive.
I'm buying a Rock Chucker this weekend to load rifle rounds with. I have an RCBS turret for my handgun rounds but I don't like all the slop in the head. It works ok for handgun loads, but I'm afriad there will be excess runout on rifle loads because of the amount of play in the turret head.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cash in that Cabelas gift certificate and buy the Dillon machine. You'll kick yourself if you don't, cause there's no good reason to buy the Rockchucker when you own a Dillon. Unless you have a green fetish.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote