Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Whelenites
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
To those that load the 35 Whelen.
I have loaded many different cartridges for many years. I have a 09 Argie worked over by Mr. LaPour. Heat treated in the Burgess manner,method, process. In reassarching load data, the new Nosler data says I can get 2750-2800 fps w/a 225g NP or AB. This is substantially higher than Lyman, Sierra, hodgdon, Alliant and others.
Is Nosler's data valid based on your experience ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
There are differences in the components that each company is using in their data. No two barrels will shoot identical loads at the same velocity. Different bullets will affect the velocity as well.

The only way to know how fast your bullet is going is to follow the load data that is in the book, using the same components, starting with a load below the maximum and work your load up toward the maximum without exceeding the maximum listed load. Then chronograph your load in your gun. Don't push your load beyond maximum to increase your velocity - just accept that your barrel is tighter, rougher, or just plain different from the one used by the people doing the load work-up.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the pressures for the .35 Whelen on the Hodgdon site.
1. Hodgdon 35 Whelen data maxes out at about 52,000 psi. (SAAMI max is 62,000 PSI)
2. Pressure for the 25-06 maxes out at about 61,000 PSI (SAAMI max is 63,000 PSI)
3. Pressure for the .270 WIN maxes out at about 64,000 PSI. (SAAMI max is 65,000 PSI)

All 3 rounds use the same basic brass. There have never been weak factory rifles chambered for any of these rounds so they could all be loaded to the same pressure assuming ballistic uniformity. The limit on the maximum average pressure may be limited by the uniformity of the pressures of your loads.

SAAMI data is here

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Yes you can. It will take a 24" or longer barrel and you will have to run 60K PSI + to get there.
I have a 25.5" Whelen and ran a 225 Barnes X at 2821. Killed like the hammer of Thor but was way too hard on the old gun.
I used AA 2015 and a load from the Barnes edition one manual.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote