New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 load help please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guess I’m jumping ahead of myself with being new to reloading.

I purchased Remington 110gr SJHP and 158gr JSP for the 357 Magnum and 38 SPL.
I purchased them without recipe loading data thinking I will find some easily. And now I see that the most common load listed in the lyman and lee manuals I have are Hornady XTP bullets.

Can anyone help me with a load for the 110 and 158’s I have?

Thanks.

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see what alliant recommends for 2400. 14.something, and it shoots well for me.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx...bulletid=29&bdid=630

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Delloro,
I was looking at 2400, unique, bullseye 0r IMR4227.
But also I have the LEE auto prime tool and they state not to use federal primers with the tool, so I had also purchased CCI 500 and 550’s and was hoping to use them too.

I could buy a different tool and then go to town on the load if that’s what I have to do?

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullseye has no place in the 357mag

Bullseye is simply not the best choice in the 38special with jacketed bullets, nor is it anywhere in the top ten...
Frankly it's ok with DEEPLY SEATED wadcutters
but I refrain from using it because of the potential for
double charges.

I'd be inclined to use the 158's in the 357 and the 110's in the 38special.

Yeah, you can drive the 110's VERY FAST from the 357, but the 357 really does better with 125's and heavier.

158's in the 38special I'd be thinking about using Unique, Herco, HS-6 or H4227, with the 110's RedDot, 700X or AA#5

In the 357 with the 158's I'd be thinking 2400, H110 and mabey W296. with the 110's N110 or W296.

I see no point in loading handgun ammo with jacketed bullets as less than "maximum effort" loads.
If I want "lighter loads" that's what cast bullets are for.
I can honestly say I burn through 50 cast bullets for every two or three jacketed handgun loads.

In actual fact I will not load jacketed bullets for the 38special
I have two revolvers, one a Colt in 38special, the other a DanWesson in 357.

I don't feed anything aside from Cast bullets to the old colt and I don't feed 38's into the 357.

I'd recommend you splurge and buy a Speer loading manual.
I've never run into trouble loading Remington bullets with speer data, mostly because speer data seem a touch conservative.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnyg:]I was looking at 2400, unique, bullseye 0r IMR4227.
But also I have the LEE auto prime tool and they state not to use federal primers with the tool, so I had also purchased CCI 500 and 550’s and was hoping to use them too.

I could buy a different tool and then go to town on the load if that’s what I have to do?

You have three different powder rates listed:
(1) BullsEye is very fast. It's primary use is for target and plinking. In other words, low velocity.
(2) Unique is moderate and good for most applications.
(3) H110, W296, and 4227 and 2400 are slow powders used for heavy bullets and fast loads. H110 and W296 are basically the same; they cannot be downloaded without creating a dangerous condition.

The powder mfrs. have pamphlets with loading data, and their websites have info. If you don't have a loading manual, it can be helpful; Lyman's Reloading Handbook, 48th Edition is popular .

Most people kind of ignore Lee's caveat. It's the most popular tool sold, so you can be assured it's used for everything. The key with it is to limit the number of primers in the reservoir and to wear glasses. Be sure it feeds reliably. Cleaning up the plastic parts is not unheard of.

You really do need a loading manual.

one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
Since you're only interested in one very basic caliber, why not get a manual dedicated to that caliber.

Loadbooks USA pulls the data from the major manuals (Accurate, Alliant, Hodgdon, Hornady, IMR, Lyman, Nosler, RCBS, Sierra, Speer and Winchester) for one caliber and puts them in a small booklet. On sale right now at MidwayUSA for $5.49USD.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=442318

OR

Gun Guides for revolvers which will give you .38 and .44 both speical and magnum in one book. Only $9.39USD
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=792105

Alf

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are OK using federal primers with the lee hand tool; just make sure primer dust does not accumulate. I have loaded many many primers with mine, and there is little if any "primer dust." federal uses a slightly different compund, which is a bit more sensitive, apparently.

bullseye shoots well for 38 special loads, but the charges are very small so double charges remain an issue. be careful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
You guys are very informative.

I purchased Fed 200 primers and used the Lever Prime system on the Ram (Lee Press) to prime the cases, it worked great.

The listed load for 158 gr JSP is 14 grains of 2400 from illiant, 10 percent reduced for starting loads would be (12.6)
I’ll make some at (12.5) and some at around (13.3) which is 5%.

The only thing I’m concerned about is that my crimp is good.
Can a roll Crimp be too tight and raise the pressure to a dangerous amount?

PS: I’ll take recommendation to purchase both the Speer manual and the dedicated cal load books; I had my eye on them,

thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no crimp formed by a reloading die in a case of proper length will cause excessive pressures.

my humble advice is to forget the loadbooks and buy two or three manuals. hodgdon, lee, lyman are among the three I have and like very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Lyman’s 48th addition manual.

It lists a load for 110 and 125 Grain JHP using Bullseye for 357, 38 and 38 +P, that’s why I listed Bullseye as one my choices. I figured I could get away with stocking one powder.

You think Lyman’s should have omitted some things?
I called them up last week because they list the 35 Whelen loads with Rem 9 ½ primers.
But Remington factory loads and Alliant reloading data list Rem 9 ½ Magnum Primers.
They said that it was not misprinted.

Being new to this I must question anything that doesn’t look right to me.

"Don't wantta blow my butt off the bench"
CRYBABY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnyg:
I figured I could get away with stocking one powder.

Unique will serve that purpose very nicely.

quote:
...they list the 35 Whelen loads with Rem 9 ½ primers.
But Remington factory loads and Alliant reloading data list Rem 9 ½ Magnum primers.

Typically, powder choice determines whether or not you need magnum primers (large case capacity also is a determinant). If you use a magnum primer where a standard primer will also serve, usually a couple less grains of powder produces the same pressure. The loads should be developed independently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 4.5 gr of Unique with 158 swc on the 38 with very good results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
vinnie i use bullseye to load .357 mag and .38 spl exclusively.... for the reason you state one powder... i use 2.7-3.2 grs of bullseye in .38 spl loads and 5.7-6.2 in .357 magnum loads under 150 gr homecast swcs... these do half the factory sd in both calibers... some of the guys here won't agree with how i load but it has always worked for me for 25 years.... i do load off of single stage presses and ALWAYS look in each case in a reloading tray to make sure the powder level is the same and right... the reason i use bullseye is economy a guy can get lots of reloads from one can of bullseye.. my bullets are hard cast so they really don't lead all that excessively either... pay attention to your oal and powder wieght and you will be ok with bullseye.....