New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good 300WSM load
 Login/Join

<jayloar>
posted
For those of you looking for a good 300WSM load, here's one to try.

180gr Hornady SST
63.0 gr H4350
Federal 210M Primer
2.870" Overall Length
Velocity 2875fps

It shot 3 consecutive sub .60" 3 shot groups for me over the weekend with my Browning A-Bolt. The load in my rifle was about 1.0 grains under maximum judging by bolt lift pressure when I went up to 64.0 gr.

I hope this load works for you too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jay,

I've found 66.0 grains of H4350 just dandy with the 180 grain bullet, and a WLR standard large rifle primer. Velocity 3000 fps in the Winchester Model 70, and pressure A-OK in the A-Bolt.

I used to get funny bolt lift if the chamber was a bit oily in the Model 70. In the A-Bolt, be careful of the short throat.

2875 fps with the 180 grain bullet? I get 2845 fps out of my .30-06 with 57.5 grains of H4350. Juice up that WSM man.

[This message has been edited by KuduKing (edited 01-29-2002).]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
KuduKing,
I don't think my rifle can handle as much juice as your rifle. Hodgdon lists 64.0 grains of H4350 as the maximum load on a 180 grain bullet. My rifle seems to agree with Hodgdon. At 64.0 grains of H4350 bolt lift got a bit sticky and the group opened up to 1.5".

I had already shot 10 rounds of some other handloads before firing these loads so I don't think an oily chamber can be to blame. 2.870" OAL doesn't come close to hitting the lands either so I can't blame a short throat.

Personally I got a 300 WSM to equal or exceed the performance of a 30-06 in a short action package and the load I've described does that. I'm very pleased with it. Outstanding accuracy with a quality bullet and it's easy on gun, shoulder and wallet. In my mind, that's a winner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree.

Remember though that the Hodgdon loads use a magnum primer, which isn't necessary. Winchester uses the standard WLR primer in the WSM, and tests have shown the magnum primer to add approximately 3000 psi with little or no increase in velocity in a case that size.

Why Hodgdon used the WLRM I don't know, but it is unfortunate. I use the WLR standard primer and can use a higher charge at the same pressure.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote