Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Ultra Mag reloading
 Login/Join

posted
hello, I am new on this forum or any other but i hope with everyones knowledge i can get a bit of Guidance. I have been reloading fo r a while now but just following all the basic standard recipes and procedures. Now i have a new prof barrel and some higher specs to my upgrade 300 rum. My old 180 barnes do not fit do to the Ogive being different from the 220 grain Hornady precision Hunter ammo. So here is my question how do you set the bullet seat depth using the Ogive of the bullet. The barnes tsx will not fit using the standard 3.60 OAL. If i just compress the current load i may have to much compression.
thanks for any advice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand you correctly...
What you are trying to do is find the distance to the lands with a certain bullet?

If so then what myself and many other old school guys do is simple. Take a fired piece of brass and see if a bullet will barely push into it by hand. If it won't stay held in there on it's own,( too loose), then place the bullet in there very long seated and squeeze the neck around it with some pliers.
Now push it into the chamber with the bolt with just enough force to close it.
Extract it carefully. Hopefully the bullet is still in the brass and didn't get stuck in the rifling.
Then mearsure this coal. Repeat this three or four times. Average that mearsurement.
That's your max over all to the lands.
I try to seat 15-20 thousandths back from that if the mag box length will allow it.
If your going for a best group with a certain charge of powder, I start 12 thousndths off lands and load 5 rounds in 3-4 thousandths length shorter measurements each. Progressively turning in the seating die.
Take em to the range and have a go.
There are tools to measure the length to the lands. But this method works well.
Some rifles like a good jump to the lands with certain bullet types. Some like it up close.
I think this is the best way to find out what your individual rifle wants and it teaches you a lot in the process.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If compression and over pressure is a concern, the solution is simple.
Start with a few grains less powder. In the big mags 6-8 gr reductions. In small to medium cartridges, 3-5 grains makes a difference.
I find the bullet seating depth is the #1 area to pay attention to for a good accurate load.
Second is making all factors equal , charge of powder, trim, chamfer, primer, sizing, etc.......

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The real old guys like myself close the bolt on an empty chamber and poke a flat faced cleaning rod (remove the jag) down the barrel until it stops on the bolt face. Hold it against the bolt face and mark the rod at the muzzle with a biro.
Pull the bolt and insert a bullet into the chamber use your little pinky or a pencil to push it until it is stopped by the lands, hold it in place and push the cleaning rod down until it touchs the bullet. You can rock the bullet back and forward to get the feel of it contacting the lands. Mark the cleaning rod at the muzzle again, the distance between marks is your cartridge overall length with the bullet touching the lands. Load to that length less whatever clearance from the lands you want, usually 10 or so thou of an inch i.e. COAL minus 0.010"

Trying to do it with a bullet held in a case neck is fraught with problems as the bullet can move when trying to chamber or stick in the rifling and be pulled out of the neck slightly as the cartridge is extracted.

You can spend money and buy gadgets to do the job but why when you already have the tools to do any bullet you wish with the cleaning rod method.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
The real old guys like myself close the bolt on an empty chamber and poke a flat faced cleaning rod (remove the jag) down the barrel until it stops on the bolt face. Hold it against the bolt face and mark the rod at the muzzle with a biro.
Pull the bolt and insert a bullet into the chamber use your little pinky or a pencil to push it until it is stopped by the lands, hold it in place and push the cleaning rod down until it touchs the bullet. You can rock the bullet back and forward to get the feel of it contacting the lands. Mark the cleaning rod at the muzzle again, the distance between marks is your cartridge overall length with the bullet touching the lands. Load to that length less whatever clearance from the lands you want, usually 10 or so thou of an inch i.e. COAL minus 0.010"

Trying to do it with a bullet held in a case neck is fraught with problems as the bullet can move when trying to chamber or stick in the rifling and be pulled out of the neck slightly as the cartridge is extracted.

You can spend money and buy gadgets to do the job but why when you already have the tools to do any bullet you wish with the cleaning rod method.

That's the way I do it.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this is what the need to know was.
The modified case method is yet another way to get this measurement. Where the flash holes is drilled out to allow a small rod to manually push a bullet into the rifling.
I prefer my way, but as the saying goes, there are more than one way to skin a cat.
Though different sized cats may require more or less time and effort.

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
The cleaning rod is one method. I make a dummy round and start way to long and keep running in through seater die about 2 or 3 thousandths at a time until the bolt barely closes. I write in the dummy with a perm marker the OAL and bullet, if it isn't obvious. Then I also write it down in my notebook, easy to forget.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I do not understand all this trying to get the olive onto the rifling!

We follow very simple loading methods.

Load every bullet to the maximum for that cartridge - unless the bullet is very light, which makes this impossible.

We seat this bullet one caliber into the case.

That is it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For Barnes TSXs, I would start at .050 off the lands as opposed to the normal .010.

Barnes bullets tend to prefer more "jump"

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote