New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Universal case trimmer ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To anyone that has used this product , how well do you like it ?

I am specifically interested in how well the universal chuckhead holds .222/.223 head size cases ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a customer who used one and brought it back.

He said the Universal Chuck worked well on medium calibers but not on big stuff, as they would not fit, and not on small stuff too good.

Also, workmanship was crap such as stripped out screws etc.

If you want something universal-ish, get a Forster.
Absolute worst case, you buy 4 different collets.
Normally you only need to get 1, maybe 2.
And its a fast, consistent machine.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lyman in January to compliment my Forster trimmer (original model Forster-can't handle the big cases) for my 470 NE etc. No problems. Works fine.

I still use my Forster for most pistol and 5.56 -7.62 size rounds as the collet system, tightens and cuts easily as well. I've had it for over 25 years and the only had to replace the cutter head once.

The universal chuck works fine for the cases I reload so far.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine works well on about everything I load. Took the handle off and put on a drill adapter so I could use a battery drill rather than my fingers.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman ACCU-TRIM sucks and is no worth considering!
I have One [1] standard crank Lyman and two [2] electric models. The lever case hold down works excellent in both models. I have one set up for .223 Remmington and the other for 30-06. I am very well satisfied with them.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i couldn't get all the cases trimmed to the same length. the chuck has a spring loaded ball in the center and possibly that was causing the case to move away from the cutter, i don't know. bought a used forster on ebay, end of problem.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have had a lyman universal trimer for about 20yrs, also use a drill to save on the hands.
The spring loaded ball is used to center the case .
I insert the case into the holder and before i thighten it down i insert the mandrel into the case mouth and finish tightning the holder , it centers better.
The only time i have trouble holding length is when the cutter gets dull.
Buy a pack of cutter heads from lyman. i think there were three for about $15.
I have had to rebuild the trimmer, the shaft wore and the bushing also wore.i replaced the bushing with a set of neddle bearings and turned a new shaft to fit the bearings.
I think it was about 15yrs old when i did the refurbish.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my Lyman Universal trimmer for years on cases up to .416 Rigby. I do several hundred cases per year. The one size fits all chuck is the berries. I adapted a power drill to mine and would not take a farm in Georgia for it. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What hivelosity said, except now they make a carbide cutter that lasts longer.

Posts: 24 | Location: Louisville, KY, USA | Registered: 17 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lyman universal trimmer is the only trimmer I've ever had and I like it. No problems with the universal chuck, it works great for me. If trimming in volume a drill setup would be an improvement. Adjusting for different cartridges takes a few minutes but is simple once you get the hang of it.

Posts: 14 | Location: WV | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well my Lyman universal trimmer drives me to tears sometimes.
The chuck works for me from 223Rem to 458 W M.
But changing the length for different cases, I find it very hard to get the allen key locking bolt to hold. There is a little nylon ball under it which probably makes it a bit slippery.

So then the next problem is that it seems very easy to stuff up the allen key head while trying to tighten it.

Solutions? I've bought a heap of the little bolts. I'm going to clean off the lube on the shaft under the bolt from now on. And I'm not going to force the cutters so much.

See it was my fault all the time.

John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Lyman trimmer, but after more than 20 years that is the best I can say. I do like the universal chuck, but once a case slips loose you will find that the jaw life can be measured in weeks and months. In twenty odd years of use I'm now working on my third set of jaws. The drill/power screwdriver adapter speeds operation and productivity, but shortens bushing life.
In all fairness I've trimmed 1000s of cases and it would not be unreasonable to expect things to wear, however after all that I find myself still using a second hand Wilson I purchased long ago. They were much slower, but much simpler to use.
If I were to choose one today, I'd get the Forster, or RCBS, probably in that order. For the large volume shooters, I'd be looking at a Gracey, Giard, or Dillon.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
Well my Lyman universal trimmer drives me to tears sometimes.
There is a little nylon ball under it which probably makes it a bit slippery.
John L.

john, I replaced the nylon with led shot #7 i think.
mine does not slip.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I've been using mine for 20 plus years, every thing I put in it works. I have not had any trouble at all. Still the original cutters. I waer a glove on my hand to prevent a blister when doing a big run on cases.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
john, I replaced the nylon with led shot #7 i think.
mine does not slip.

Sounds good, I'll give it a try, thanks.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have one too and I like it, the only thing I've had to do in 20 or so years was turn a new mandrel for 20 caliber. Cases fit in the chuck better if deprimed, so I try to resize, trim and then prime.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote