Find
Notify
Tools

243 varget 75gr v-max what next?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working up a 243 coyote/varmint load with 75gr hornady v-max

What would you do next with these results?

37gr varget
avg 3000fps/sd 30.98 1.5" group 2 holes touching

38gr varget
avg 3053fps/sd 18.92 1.18" group 2 holes touching

38.6gr varget
avg 3066fps/sd 14.96 1.10" group 2 holes touching

basically I had one flyer in each group, do I reload all three and try to improve my bench technique?

Shoot 5 shot groups to sort it out?

should I load 37-38.6 in 1 grain increments to find the sweet spot?

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Shoot a 5 shot group of each recipe and use the one that gives you the best 5 shot group.

Was the flyer always the first or last one? 38.6 grs is right up there at max, is the pressure alright in your rifle?

1" +/- groups are just fine for a varmint calling rifle. Most of my shots are under 100 yards, and all but 1 or 2 have been under 200 yards.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is what I was figuring,....I think the flyers are the nut "behind the bolt" Conditions were decent at the range, 73 degrees, cloudy wind 1.8-2.6mph on my kestrel 1/4ing over left shoulder.

No signs of pressure, it is in a a-bolt micro hunter with 20" barrel so I was a little dissapointed that the max load was only 3066fps not near the 3408fps in the load manual but I'm assuming the test gun had a much longer barrel.

The flyers were first shot usually.
Just disappointing to have two in the same hole and the third an inch+ away,...I'm a bit of a perfectionist,...I know it is acceptable accurracy for a walking predator gun but I think there is better accurracy potential there that I'm not achieving yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was having this happen with a load in my .280 using older Barnes X bullets. After talking to a Sierra Technician who I am most familiar with, he said to try different seating depths.

I didn't have very many of the Barnes,so I decided to abandon them and try Nosler BT's and Sierra Pro Hunters with the same charge. That solved the problem. About .75 MOA but no bullet holes touching.

So you could try different seating depths or a different bullet.

Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 80 or so to play with so I'll try a few different seating depths. I currently have it 0.428 off the lands so I have some room to play with.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I wanted to have a long range varmint/deer load for my Rem CDL .243 and ended up with Nosler BT 70 grains with a very healthy dose of WW 760 for a chrongraphed velocity of 3775 fps. Accuracy was at .8-1.10 with consistent performance.

I haven't taken that load to the field yet but will probably do so this deer season.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teancum, I use the same load with H414 (same powder) with the same great results. You will love that load for knocking deers on their arsses! I load this combination for many diffrent people and they have killed dozens of deer, and if you keep it between the sternum and the liver those deer will not take one step.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I reloaded 5 rounds for the 3 weights that showed promise,....now to get to the range and see how it goes.

This load is more for coyotes and prairie dogs,...I'm planning a Pd trip for next spring. And the predators have been breeding like rabbits around here!

My rifle really likes hornady 100gr BTSP's at around 3000fps for deer, I'll proably look at loading 85gr TSX's next,...my Nephew will start deer hunting next year so He'll proably be Borrowing the .243. I have heard great things about the TSX's for penetration, accuracy, and lethatlity.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I use the same bullets with Varget and they shoot great in my Marlin .243 bolt action.

Like several others stated, I'd try some 5 shot or more groups and see what happens. Is this type of shooting (1 flyer in a group) common for other reloads you work up?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
Teancum, I use the same load with H414 (same powder) with the same great results. You will love that load for knocking deers on their arsses! I load this combination for many diffrent people and they have killed dozens of deer, and if you keep it between the sternum and the liver those deer will not take one step.

Thanks for the info. I have loaded this .243 with the 55 grain Nosler BT at 4050fps and used that twice on smaller mulie bucks at moderate ranges and it was very impressive. Also seemed to be a very flat shooter at that velocity.

The 70 grain should add some stability for the longer shots in windy conditions that we often see out here in the West.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.428 off the lands? I usually start .005 off the lands and my most accurate loads have, in most guns, been within .010 of the lands. Try using your most accurate charge weight, move bullets to .005 and shoot 5 shot groups. Move bullets in .005 increments. My experience has been seating depth is a major factor in accuracy. I have also had a number of rifles that shot as you described and nothing would make them stop throwing flyers. Try bedding the gun first. If that won't make it consistent rebarrelling and freefloating should. You could also just sell the rifle and buy a Cooper and the problem will be solved.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip cobrad I will check into it,...the gun usually doesn't throw flyers with 100 grainers, first time I feed it 75 grainers, The range I used doesn't have a very good bench,...I think it could have been me and my bench technique that day. I'm hoping to be able to make it to the range Wednesday and shoot 5 shot groups with the 3 best loadings.

As for selling it,...I only payed 20.00 dollars, won it in a raffle, but it will proably, eventualy end up in the hands of one of my 5 nephews. I don't think I can replace it with a Cooper for 20.00 thought Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it didn't throw flyers with the 100's, it may just not shoot well with the 75's. The last .243 I had shot around .8 with a few bullets, but I wanted better. It was a Kimber Montana and I thought it should be more accurate. In much frustration, after 5 different powders and 3 different bullet weights, I asked the members here for help. With that advise I ended up with a load that shot 58 gr. V-Max's, propelled by IMR 4064, at 3700 FPS, and shot groups at a pretty consistent .6". Those bullets were seated .005 off the lands and they fed through the magazine. It was a varmint gun so that load was great. My Cooper .270 is shooting under 1/2" with 135 gr SMK's seated .005 off the lands. They won't fit in the magazine, but they have taken 7 ground hogs so far this year at ranges from 600 to 749 yards. I'll bet you are going to find a load that shoots well from your rifle.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update
finally got out to the range.

results:
37gr 3014fps/sd 38.6/ .900" group w 2fliers to 2.5" Upper right target

38gr 3114fps/sd 28.6/ .774" 4 shots 1.40" 5shot
upper left target

38.6gr 3138fps/sd 19.44"/ .532" 3shots, 1.289" 5 shots
lower left target

So I'm thinking I need to tweak the charge between 38-38.6 grains. It is proably adequate for minute of coyote. Thoughts, suggestions, rude comments?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two things

1. Don't be surprised if your rifle improves if it has less than 300 rounds through it.

2. Don't fall in love with a particular bullet just because it is pointy.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I think I would be bumping that load up and expecting it to tighten up some at 39/39.5, maybe 40.

I run 38.5 with 85 grain TSXs and they look like that until i get right up to the 38/38.5 grain range in several of my .243s.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a different bullet and/or powder.

My coyote load is 38.0gr Varget and the 75gr Vmax and the deer load is 38.5gr Varget and the 85gr Barnes TSX. Both shoot fantastic.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote