THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making 330 dia bullets from 338 dia ????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted
Is this possible? I need some cheap practice bullets for my 318 Westley Richards and Woodleigh is all I can find. I would like to downsize some .338 bullets.

Shawn

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this possible? I need some cheap practice bullets for my 318 Westley Richards and Woodleigh is all I can find. I would like to downsize some .338 bullets

I've taken 416 bullets down to 410 in one step through a Lee cast bullet sizer. Lube it well and use a good press. Some reference .04" per step. Lee makes a .329 sizer for $14 you don't have much to lose. Some of the other "jacketed" bullet sizers on the market are around $175.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've sized down 200 grain 338 hornadies to .329 with the lee kit for my 8x56r...it works fine. BUT you might want to call graffs...they had hornady make up a batch of special bullets for the 8x56r that I think are all set to go for that dimension....not sure if they are .329 or .330. If you could pick up a couple boxes to try it might be alot better deal than all the monkeying around with the sizer. BTW....my downsized bullets didn't seem very accurate but I think it's the gun and not the bullt.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this possible? I need some cheap practice bullets for my 318 Westley Richards and Woodleigh is all I can find. I would like to downsize some .338 bullets.

I've never done any of that but I have an old Remington engineer friend (Mike Walker) who did. He once told me that jacketed bullets must have the core seated in a die that is slightly oversize for the jacket. Then the final form of the bullet is swaged UP and the core is firmly held in the jacket afterwards.

Seems sizing a jacketed bullet DOWN would allow the jacket to spring away from the non-elastic core after it is released from the die. ??

Maybe you could size it down a little too far and then back up, IF you have dies to do it that way?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've also used Lee bullet sizer dies & ImperialSizingWax to size down .429/300gr to .423. They shoot quite well out to 100yds, & it's cheap enough to try.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems sizing a jacketed bullet DOWN would allow the jacket to spring away from the non-elastic core after it is released from the die. ??
My thought too, but, if that were true then how would a bullet perform in a two groove barrel in which the bullet is swaged from .312 to .304? I am referring to the two groove 303 barrel which has a bore of .304 and two narrow grooves of about .312. Then to make matters worse, I plan on trying .323 bullets in this barrel and in a 'normal' five groove barrel with the same bore and groove dimensions. (That is, if they will fit the throat in the first place, otherwise I will be sizing them down until they do. I know the throat will take .318).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sized .430 bullets down to 416 in one pass 338 to 330 should work well. I use a heavy press and lube well. I use a lee cast bullet sizer as well.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J Calhoon swages down tons of jacketed bullets.

I think he makes carbide dies.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote