New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the deal with Rem.'s Ultra mags?
 Login/Join

<cattracker>
posted
here is what my 7mmrum conos at 3587fps fed 215 rl 25 powder at 95.5 grains and 140 grn barnes xlc at 3/4 inch groups

<GAHUNTER>
posted
BIG DAWG,

The SA 7mm is more efficient than your 7mm Rem. Mag, getting more velocity with less powder. In fact, the 7mm WSM is only 60 fps slower than the STW with the same bullet. And that's with 20 percent less powder.

By the way, You wuz lucky aginst us. Fourth and 15! GEEZ. You are also lucky that you don't have to play us in the SEC Championship Game.

By the way, WAR DAMN EAGLE!

GAH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking lately about what caliber to choose for elk+ sized animals and I was leaning towards a 338 Win/338 Ultra until I read Ron's post about his 270. Thanks!

For conversation's sake, why doesn't everyone post some pics of their nicest trophies(like Ron did) along with what they used to take em so we can see how hunting skills stack up against ballistic superiority?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska, I live in good ole Tennessee, my absolute favorite passion in the wild outdoors is turkey hunting, NOW we have a topic on hunting skills. The best year(that will never be topped by myself) was a total harvest of 8 longbeards and a jake by mistake. These were all taken with a Browning Gold 3 1/2" automatic shotgun. I hunted 3 states and was very lucky in all 3. It is absolutly ubsurd to consider and compare hunting skill to ballistic choice. Keep looking at the 338 Ultra because anyone that would choose this over a 270 is using good common sense, for the animal and yourself. People who choose more medicine for the hunt are not lacking skill, but taking advantage of the newest technology provided to us. I would subscribe to a few new magazines. Tim.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry:
You know, I am not into fantasy or what if's scenerio's but wouldn't it be an intereresting thought if none of us knew anything about centerfire rifles. Stay with me. None of us knows anything about rifles, accuracy, speed, and most of all history. Then someone layed before us all the rounds out there with the facts, and only the facts. Velocities, BC, drop charts, wind drift, recoil, price, barrel life, throat errosion etc, etc. Kinda like when your a juror in a trial. Take out all the emotion, take out all articles from other emotional people, take out all the campfire stories your father told you, and make your pick based on shooting the rifle, loading the round, performance, and just plain like it. I wonder what most of us would pick out of the 30 caliber category? Now keep in mind, not any wildcats. I bet most of us would pick something out of the 300RUM line. The 30-378, maybe but throat errosion, and recoil might be a big factory for being too stiff. But anyone with any esperience can master the recoil of the 300RUM. I know when I go to buy a truck, I usually pick out the most powerful motor, that will get more than 17 MPG. The 17MPG is my limit. So the .454 is out. Just something to chew on.

I am afraid I would choose the ultra econo 30.06, Super mileage will run well on 110g to 250g [Razz] [Big Grin]

Good Luck [Razz]

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to all the new magnums, I am more concerned with barrel life. For these things to be as overbore as they are, I would suspect a short life and eroded throats. I guess in a hunting rifle that wouldn't be a real concern, but I shoot a lot.

I also wonder just how dead people think they can kill something. My next rifle project is a 338-06. I suspect that it'll kill em just as dead @ 300yds as anything mentioned here. I know I'll be able to shoot it much better than any of the shoulder bruising mags mentioned.

TiminTn,

Good to see you here! I noticed Sniper on here too. I figured the Tn terrain to be about like what I hunt down here in Bama. I'm lucky to get a shot at something over 200yds......

Posts: 64 | Location: Bham, Al | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Lots of numbers being thrown around but none of them really add up to more than about 2-3 inches drop @ 300 yds. Lots of retained energy but what is its purpose? Weve seen what a 270 will do to an Elk with much less recoil and why not?
Im still waiting for a real world practical use for a 300 UM vs whatever. Elk @ 400 yds? 500 yds? Why? Plainsgame? What exactly is its purpose?
There are much better choices of calibers for Bears and such although a 300 mag will usually allow the shooter to live, usually!

So what is there that a 300 UM does in the field that makes it a better choice? is it all about that 2-3" less drop? My answer is simply this, TESTOSTERONE SELLS LIKE A MUTHER!!!!!

Have fun getting knocked around and watching your throats rot out in time lapsed mode. There is what works, not enough and there is overkill. The real trick to me is learning to place yourself in the middle.

Personally I find the more efficent WSM more exciting than a UM due to its efficency. The UM is too much like the same old Weatherby thats been around forever. Not real exciting IMHO.

[ 11-29-2002, 00:08: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
best thing abou all these x00 RUM guns going around (and kick like hell) is that it's just a rebarrel away from having a nice 404 rig...

jeffe

Posts: 39562 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote