Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working up the right load for a new bench rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I just finished building my first complete custom bench rifle and am just starting to fire form cases. I was wondering if anyone on this site or anyone of the more experienced bench shooters here have written down a good procedure on how to start working the right load that works the best in my rifle. With all the different weight bullets, different powders and all the variables such as bullet neck pressures, distance from the lands, + a grain
- a grain. How is a person to start working through all these?
Thanks in advance for any help. I chambered my rifle in 7 mm WSM AI.
kraayenb

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
THANKS!! guys Looks like I have a lot of work to do ! One more question, When you fire form cases to AI are the cases fully formed after the first fireing or will they change some each time they get fired? I know I need to continually check case length and I plan to neck size only after forming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it depends on the composition of the brass.
i generally have better results with remington brass in my ackleys.
i like to use a false shoulder on the neck for the first firing.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
A true "AI" chamber, as in Ackley Improved will allow you to fireform your brass from standard factory ammunition. Just chamber a round and fire. That was part and parcel to P.O. Ackley's design at the outset.

The term "AI" gets over used and abused these days in my opinion, as every "improved" shape it seems is called "AI".

If I'm loading fresh virgin brass for my 257 Ackley Roberts, I load a mid range load, and I seat the bullet so that when it is chambered, it is jammed into the rifling. I don't use fired standard brass to fireform into AI brass, only virgin brass.

Once the brass is fireformed, it grows in length very little after the initial firing. One of the benefits of the AI design, less brass flowing forwards due to reduced taper in the case. You still have to check your brass length, sure, but don't expect it to grow much.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lamar: I am not sure what a false shoulder is?
slowpoke slim: I am starting with virgin brass but Winchester. I also started with a smaller bullet 130gr Sierra Match King HPBT and the minimum powder listed in there book at 63gr because I have incorporated a few new design elements in my build that are basically experimental and untested and I needed to verify that my designs were safe and functional. I am pleased to find out after the first 25 rounds everything preformed flawlessly and I am now ready to reload for accuracy.
Thanks all for the input !!!
Bill