New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 Case Capacity
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't recall where I saw a reference to the case capacity of various brands of 7x57 brass, but IIRC Winchester was ~59.5 gr, Remington a tad less, and Federal ~ 56.5gr.

Any ideas on Norma and Hornady 7x57 brass case capacities?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Net is about 57 grains of water.
Hope this helps.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just weigh the cases.
Brass is 8X the weight of water or powder.

Any difference in the weight of the brass is divided by 8 to get the difference in water capacity.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Just weigh the cases.

Any difference in the weight of the brass is divided by 8 to get the difference in water capacity.

Good to know.

Unfortunately, I have neither a Hornady or a Norma case to use the above method on. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:
quote:
Just weigh the cases.

Good to know.

Unfortunately, I have neither a Hornady or a Norma case to use the above method on. Smiler

My Norma brass weighs 174 grains with a fired Federal 210 primer.
My Hornaday brass weighs 163 grains with the same fired primer.

Both batches of brass are about 15 to 20 years old.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2barrels,

For what reason do you wish to know this? The little difference between brands isn't going to amount much in top velocities. If you have to fill every bit of a 7x57 to get the velocity gain you might better be served by a larger 7mm cartridge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
2barrels,

For what reason do you wish to know this? The little difference between brands isn't going to amount much in top velocities. If you have to fill every bit of a 7x57 to get the velocity gain you might better be served by a larger 7mm cartridge.

Curiousity mostly. On the other hand, I found it interesting when comparing powder charges I've seen for the 7x57, the same charge for the same powder is show as compressed in one case (say Federal), and not another (say Winchester). I can understand the potential for a compressed load knowing that the Winchester case has ~59.5 gr capacity, and the Federal ~56.5. Just wanted to know about Norma and Hornady, as they seem to be the only available 7x57 brass right now, and I'm just starting into reloading the 7x57.

Make sense?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing important about the 7x57 is that, in a modern rifle, it will shoot faster than the 7mm08. (As will the 6.5x55 over the 260 Rem)

Any of the four, with today's super bullets will take any big game in the lower 48.

If you have "a need for speed" there are a ton of 700 ADLs & BDLs cluttering up gunshop racks and Internet auction sites in 7mm RemMag at very reasonable prices.

Good hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just weigh the cases.

However, be sure to account for any difference in overall case length. Brass which has been trimmed to minimum is obviously a bit lighter than the same brass which is a couple of hundredths over maximum, assuming both have been fired in the same chamber and/or resized in the same FL die.

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote