New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's everybody's opinion of the Barnes .308 diameter, 180gr Triple-Shock as a target bullet (p/n 30846)? I should think their solid construction would negate any inconsistencies sometimes exhibited by jacketed bullets. Ballistic coefficient is very high at 0.552; too bad they're not offered in a moly-coated version for even greater velocity and cooler barrels with less fouling.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how they shoot. If they out preform other bullets in your rifle they could be target bullets.

I wouldn't think a paper target would mind getting shot with one.

Just like the deer, elk,pdogs I have shot with serria MKs. They all died and did not complain a bit.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
What's everybody's opinion of the Barnes .308 diameter, 180gr Triple-Shock as a target bullet (p/n 30846)? ...
Hey Rootbeer, Nothing at all to keep you from using them that way if you want to. But, the actual "Match Grade" bullets will provide smaller groups overall, in more rifles, at more Velocities, and at less cost.

If they shot "better" than the Match Grade Bullets, the Benchrest folks would use them for their Matches.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My riflesmith recommends the 190gr Sierra Match King and Hodgdon H4831 Short Cut powder. I was thinking the homogenous bullets might provide better accuracy because they are homogenous and are by definiton immune to the core being even the slightest bit out of concentricity with the jacket, which would cause an imbalance in flight, yes? I haven't bought any bullets beyond just a 100-count box of the Sierras and want to find out for sure what is the best bullet for my 300WSM in a 1:10 barrel before I drop a c-note on a big lot of them.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
My riflesmith recommends the 190gr Sierra Match King and Hodgdon H4831 Short Cut powder.
That is an excellent bullet for extremely long distance shooting. Very high BC and the Sierra folks have a lot of BenchRest Records/Wins in the books. I lean more toward the 168gr MatchKings because I'm typically using a 308Win when I'm messing around shooting Targets way out yonder.

quote:
I was thinking the homogenous bullets might provide better accuracy because they are homogenous and are by definiton immune to the core being even the slightest bit out of concentricity with the jacket, which would cause an imbalance in flight, yes?
I do understand your thinking, many folks believed the same thing when the BarnesX first came out. But, unfortunately there is more to it then that.

If you take a box of the BarnesX bullets and "first" measure the length of all the Bullets in a box, you will notice a significant variance. Then refine the measurement by measuring from about the point on the Ogive that will make contact with the Lead to the Base and you will still see a good bit of variation. And a simple test is to weigh the same bullets and see how close together they are.

Then do the same with a box of the MatchKings and see which one you think is the most consistent. I'll predict the MatchKings.

That said, I've not had a Triple Shock in my hands, so they may have reduced the variations considerably.

It is important to remember the Design Envelopes of the Barnes Bullets and the Design Envelopes of Match Grade Bullets are totally different. But, the best way to convince yourself is to simply buy a box of each and see how well they shoot for you. You might just get all the accuracy you could possibly want from the Barnes and if so, you will have a fine hunting bullet ready to go.

quote:
I haven't bought any bullets beyond just a 100-count box of the Sierras and want to find out for sure what is the best bullet for my 300WSM in a 1:10 barrel before I drop a c-note on a big lot of them.
There are also some "potential" problems here. It is always a good idea to buy a small amount first and see how well they shoot in your particular rifle. Occasionally a particular rifle just won't shoot a specific "weight" or "brand" of Bullet well at all.

Just no way to know until a few are tried to see how they do. It would be a shame for you to get a huge quantity of Bullets and then find out your rifle just won't shoot them well. But, once you find one it likes, there is nothing at all wrong with laying in a good supply.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of Sierra Match Kings in as many different rifles. They have consistantly been more accurate than any of the lead core bullets I have tried. With the exception of the Nosler Match I used in my .223, the problem is they quit makeing them.

I have not tried the Barnes bullets due to the fact they are not stocked by the Gun Shops in my area. I hope the Triple shocks will prove to be accurate as I am planning to use them on a deer hunt this fall. As far as just punching paper I will go with whatever is the most accurate out of my rifle.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote