Tools

Best Quality electronic powder scale?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
quote:
The RCBS chargemaster is the way to go. It's fast accurate and easier to change powders in.......................

I had a Lyman 1200 and it worked well as far as accuracy went but, I thought it very slow. Swithced to the RCBS Combo and I like it very much.

Just curious, have you checked the repeatability of the RCBS unit?
I did buy one for my son, and he likes it, as he loads lots more ammo than I do. I might spring for one too if it is repeatable.

Thanks,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not had any problems with my Pact. Checks very well with my balance scale, throughout reloading sessions.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I love my RCBS Chargemaster. It has turned reloading from something to be dreaded to something that goes pretty darn quick. I check every fifth round on a balance scale and the accuracy is excellent. I use it for big bore cartridges and it is not unusual for me to do 75 or 100 rounds in an hour and a half.

Mike

Posts: 21663 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mmBR's tests showed the digital dispensers to be accurate and repeatable to within +/- 0.1gr

quote:
Charge Weight Accuracy and Repeatability
We measured thrown charges dispenser vs. dispenser, and double-checked these against a manually-operated RCBS 10-10 (Ohaus) scale. We quickly found that all of the machines normally threw charges within ± 0.1 grain. And this was pretty much the limit of the accuracy of our beam scale. We will need to get a more precise scientific scale (or Prometheus Measure) to further refine the accuracy results. But we can say, based on our tests, the level of accuracy one gets with these machines is probably as precise as the typical reloader could achieve with a 10-10 or similar manual balance-beam scale. (See this Scale Comparison Test by the builder of the Prometheus.) And, the RCBS ChargeMaster is sufficiently speedy that, if a charge shows up high or low in the pan, you can quickly dump it out and run another charge in 10-15 seconds. That is faster than trickling grains into the pan of a balance scale and waiting for it to stabilize. Our friend, Matt in Virginia, also did some further testing with an RCBS ChargeMaster, re-weighing its stated charges first with a balance-beam scale, and then with a PACT digital scale. Here are Matt's findings using a 44.0 grain charge of IMR 4064:

RCBS 1500 -- Ohaus 10-10 -- PACT Scale

44.0.....14 seconds.....43.95....................44.5
44.0.....15 seconds.....44.00....................44.6
44.0.....18 seconds.....44.00....................44.3
44.0.....16 seconds.....44.00....................44.2
44.0.....17 seconds.....44.00....................44.1
44.0.....16 seconds.....43.90....................44.2
44.0.....13 seconds.....43.97....................44.2
44.0.....17 seconds.....44.00....................44.3
44.0.....14 seconds.....43.95....................44.1
44.0.....14 seconds.....43.95....................44.3
44.0.....16 seconds.....44.05....................44.3
44.0.....13 seconds.....43.95....................44.1

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers02.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several electronic scales of different makes models in the price ranges of $80.00 -$ 180.00 either purchased by myself or given to me . Not one !. NOT one of them has lasted more than 6 months . I don't drop or abuse them in any way . I've set them on a set up table of Black granite . A surfacing instrument table . Covered them when not in use. Un plugged them when finished . I calibrated them every time on set up . They just didn't repeat any where near good enough for me on a regular basis .

Manual scale all the way for me . I do how ever use an expensive electronic scale for chemical mixtures . But it's not fine enough for loading . Gram weight only !. ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
............... I do how ever use an expensive electronic scale for chemical mixtures . But it's not fine enough for loading . Gram weight only !. ... salute

Just use a European reloading manual. Lapua manuals have both grams and grains.

But then again using a electronic for reloading might just go against your grain Smiler .......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr K, you're just being too neat, I leave my Lyman on all the time except when I empty the powder out of it, have for almost 2yrs now, it's never been off when I check it with the Lyman check weights, which is often. Smiler

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the conversion of grain to gram forward and back wards . It's just that this particular Electronic scale does not weigh fine enough for real precision loading .

I guess I could have had bad luck and purchased the wrong Electronic reloading scales . I've always been curious as to why my loading shooting buddies have all given me theirs though !.
Maybe we all were just to stupid to use them !?.

My last two true up on the calibration just fine !. Problem is after 15 min. -2 Hr. of checking loads they no longer jive . They will how ever weigh the 20 - 30 gram calibration weights ok . It's just the tenths of a grain they refuse to stay accurate on !.

I deal in 25.4 grains 86.2 grains Etc. It's the devil in those last digits that kill those electronic wonders !. Good luck with yours !.

I shall stay with what has proven to be 110 % reliable every time , Ohaus Manual RCBS Manual they say exactly the same thing EVERY TIME !.

Shoot straight know your target ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Dr.K

You have had

quote:
several electronic scales of different makes models in the price ranges of $80.00 -$ 180.00

but have you ever used the RCBS Chargemaster 1500? I know mine costs a lot more than what you say you have paid or had given to you, so I was just wondering if you have used the one everyone is saying works for us?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked my PACT digital scale and it says made here in the us.It sure has been a good one for the last 3yrs(maybe longer than that)I have had it.I have my beam rcbs scale sitting beside it and every new load I check the first load with both.And it has allways been right on the money with the beam scale.
I had to pull 10 rounds of 223's a while back and checked the charge with both and all 10 were the same on both scales.
The reason I pulled them was that I thought maybe the charge was off.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods " , NO I have not and I have the utmost respect for RCBS products !. I was making a general statement about electronic scales When it comes to reloading purposes that is .

I have an excellent electronic scale !. It measures from 1 gram -2K grams but it was a lot more money than say those , , Hornady , Lyman , Cabela's as well as several other brands .

I for one am unimpressed with Chinese made anything !. So I prefer to stay away from such junk . MANY of these scales I'm referring to carry anybody's name made in Junk Land .

It's just a personal issue . I see NO benefit what so ever in purchasing Junk because it was priced right !.

I have not looked into the RCBS Charge master 1500 . Nor have I looked into any more for a couple of years now to be honest !.

I used to check weight maybe every 3 - 5 Th. charge . With Dillon that's a thing of the past now for me .

I set up dial in the weight I'm looking for throw three dummy's in a row weighing every one
It's always the same after that . Good to go .

Shoot straight know your target !. ... salute

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you using a Lyman DPS2, Lyman is offering a DPS3 upgrade kit for $25 that fills twice as fast and makes cleaning easier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=638676

quote:
The upgrade kit will increase the speed of your DPS. This is due to a redesign of the powder box. The dispensing tube is larger and the bushings have been eliminated. The floor of the powder box is now sloped allowing for faster powder changes and cleaning.

Lyman customer service

posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for 25 years and I can't believe anyone would still use a balance beam scale. Every time you want to change loads you have to reset the slide weights and hope you don't set one in the wrong notch. They are terribly slow. The digitals are just much faster and less things on them to fuss with. I don't know one person that uses the old balance beams anymore and I am a very active competion rifle and pistol shooter. Guys said the same things years ago about automatic transmissions in cars would never work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
davel, you've done the impossible. You've rended me speachless. killpc

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jacob Gottfredson just wrote an article on the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 in the latest issue of Guns Magazine praising it. He said that it's accurate to a single granule of powder. He also mentioned that Walt Berger is using one too. Good testiments.
Guns Magazine, August 2007 Issue, page 18.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
He said that it's accurate to a single granule of powder.

Yes I'm sure they are a great unit, if you want one, or need the capacity etc, I'm all for them.
But as far as cost goes I have a mate that is quite quick with the little Lee scoops. Swears by them.

But, as for being accurate to one granual of powder???? Um, my 505 shows that there are about 5 granuals of Varget to 1/10gr.

Now if these electro scales only show variations of 1/10gr like the RCBS I used, I can't see how (say) an indication of (say) 26.5 is able to change to 26.6 or anything else with the addition of 1 or 2 granuals.
Not if it was 26.5 in the first place.

I have seen the RCBS flip between (say) 26.5 and 26.6 back and forth, couldn't quite decide which to "state". Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post

FWIW I also have the Harrel blow it out your ass top notch powder culver dispenser to short throw charges- it ain't that precise +/- up to .2gr- BULLSHIT!!![/QUOTE]

If you take your time with your Harrell you will find it as accurate as any and better than most. I used to cuss mine until I took the stop screw off and just ran the handle to the same position every time without the bump. The key to any powder measure is a consistant stroke. Mine drops within .1gr when properly used. I also have a Redding BR-3 that is every bit as accurate(when properly used) Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
My old Dillon started going south & Dillon would only replace it for 1/2 price but that was good enough. The new one works better, gets to zero very quickly & is accurate. I'll keep my RCBS 5-10 for backup but I prefer the digital scales.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my $ 0.0025 worth of expertize when it comes to powder scales I'll stick with " Manual balance beams ". I did check out the Charge master 1500 !.
It's nice and I assume works wonderfully .

The draw back is it dumps into a pan !??. Why would I want a scale that dumps into a pan only to be transfered by funnel to a cartridge case ??. For bench loaders it may be OK , Not for a progressive loader like my Dillon .

I weigh the charges that come out of my powder throw ( Three times after setting it ) to insure it's accuracy . I'm reloading out of old habits I check periodically to make sure it doesn't change .

I must have a pretty good powder throw because it " NEVER CHANGES " unless I change powders or the charge amount it's self .

Is it as accurate as the Charge Master it may not be , but seems to be accurate enough for me .

I have a long time loading shooting buddy that has for years and years insisted that real accurate loads have the least amount of FPS deviation to them !. I say BS to that !.

I have proven time and time again that some of HIS OWN as well as my best targets have been with loads of over 100 FPS deviation .

He loaded some 06 ammo for a Garand that was as close as any 5 I've ever run through the Chrony . Extreme spread was 17 FPS most were 8 - 12 .

Group size was HORRIFIC !!!!!!. Now go figure that . We are talking about a particular pet load that normally groups 7/16" out of an old war horse with no modifications whats so ever !.

They were all over the place 1.5 - 1.75 "

He shot a 5 group , I shot a 5 group and he shot another 5 group . Only one group that he shot was decent around .75 " and the Extreme spread was over 80 FPS . So go figure !??.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The further out you are shooting the more important SD's are. You may be shooting a good group at shorter ranges say 100yds but further out it will start stringing vertically worse and worse as you move farther and farther away.
SD's are important.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 10 or 12 years ago a friend gave me the original Dillion electronic scale. He tried to use it one time and found it would not hold calibration and it would not run on the battery. It would only run on the power supply. I messed with it a few times but had the same problem. I called Dillion and the tech said that the electronics at that price just weren't up to doing a lot better. He told me to send it in though and they would try to make it right. I put it in the top of the closet for about 5 years. I called again and talked to a tech and he said send it back but I never did. About 3 years later--after about 8 years in the closet I called again. Again they said send it back. At that time they offered two models and the older version had a higher grain capacity. I expected to get the original version back. Instead I got the new version which had a lower grain capacity. I put a battery in it and gave it a shot. Man what a difference. It worked without zero drift. I repeatedly compared it to my beam balance over and over and always got within .1 grn. or less so I was pleased. It is a great scale. I use it for weighing bullet and brass when I do those chores.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the people who use them generally follow that pattern to .

Nice to know that everybody BUT YOU are careless/dangerous !. And too is spelled wrong, and you don't leave a space after the last word in a sentance or need two .. at the the end of a sentance !.!.

I've had the same RCBS,(made by pact), digital scale since '96 . It works every time it's turned on, a brief 10 minute warm-up and it's ready to go . I partnered it up with a pact dispenser about 6 years ago . It DOES need to be calibrated to the density of each and every powder each time you use it. I do that while I prepping cases, no lost time there.

I got some Lyman check weights, after reading another thread like this once. I wanted the assurance that the RCBS scale was right on !. They ALWAYS read what they're supposed to !.The calibating weights can be used to check accuracy, BUT they don't check the low end like the Lyman check weights.

Possibly the problems some have with eclectronis scales, is their electric personallity ?.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
I've been reading this as I am looking for an accurate scale to replace my now defunkt RCBS digi scales.
I went from a blance beam 5-0-5 and found my 223 up to .270 loads were as ggod.
I am now reloading for the .17 Rem and wondered if the extra 100th of a grain offered by the Acculab (see Sinclair) would actually make any difference to the accuracy of the round. Obviously the larger I go the more forgiving the margin of error is, but when dealing with loads of around 23 grains will that 10th or 100th of a grain accuracy will be of benefit.
I have only owned the Lyman 1200 but at the moment, I am looking at the Acculab or RCBS 1500 chargemaster combo, unless of course a beam scale will be better.
When loading copious amounts of 243 loads, the combo will be a better bet....

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At some point air currents and variations in the weight of the other components will defeat .01 grain powder charge accuracy.

I have often wondered the same thing about loading for the .22 Hornet and the approximately 12 grain powder charges.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to www.myweigh.com and check out the iBALANCE series. I bought the 101 at the Quigley Matches for $140. It has a 30 year warranty!!!!!

This unit weighs 100grams with a .005gram variance.
It has a conversion button to go to ounces or grains, and the grains works out to .05gr, IIRC.

I am very happy, since I get a bit anal and weigh cases and all of my cast bullets for my black powder rifles.

I had two RCBS scales and both went tits up the week before Quigley...a day apart. I had just finished weighing bullets luckily.

The measure I have been using for the last year is the MVA updated version of the Belding & Mull. I throw 80+ grain charges for my 38-90 and it holds .1gr (+ or -). The MVA will max out at about

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shit Howdy !. A lesson in grammar . I thought my English teacher was dead !??. Grizz ?. Is that short for Grizwold , of Wally World fame ?.

He just moved to the Fly In State is all .

I'll drop over to your house next time I'm up your way .

Say 40 Ft. 280 Knots , I just need an address or GPS coordinates !.

I type 85 words a minute , so Eye make mistakes once in while . Sue Me !. Everybody's a comedian only it's not me their laughing at Charlie Brown .

I've never had a manual balance beam go bad , how does that happen ?. I have how ever replaced the rest where the pivot pins are from wear .

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Dangerous?

animal

I drive a car and tens of thousand of Americans die in them every year.

On my "Danger Meter", my electronic scale is pretty low on the list.

I like my RCBS set-up.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I must admit my 505 needs a "tweek" now and then, but I assumed my house was gradualy sliding down the hill.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I use a lyman digital and would never go back. I love a digital.

We have been using digital scales for years, and for those who reload a lot, there is no comparison.

We have had no luck with Lyman scales I am afraid, as they seem to give up the ghost for no reason that we can see.

The RCBS, on the other hand, seem to keep going forever.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS 502 and a plastic spoon as a powder measure.I've gotten really good with it and can do it quick.It is the most simple way of reloading(in the long run)and probably the most accurate.One thing I recommend is to leave the scale zeroed when stored away or else the zero will vary slightly when weighing charges.I also find the aluminum funnel Sinclair sells to solve the static problem and help speed things up.I have been happy with this method and don't plan on buying an electronic scale.What is the difference between a mechanical arm moveing up when you add a grain or a digit changing?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My shooting partner came up with a " Full Proof " method to end all arguments over scales of any type .

Fill each and every case full pack it in then compress the bullet . Then theres no need for any scale !. He also mentioned a powder horn and patches and keeping ones britches dry or something to that effect !.

Good 4 Th. on all of You !. ... salute salute

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I use the RCBS 502 and a plastic spoon as a powder measure.

That's what sent me nuts. What's needed is a good thrower, and trickler, and a 505. When needed one can then just use the powder measure if desperate for time.

quote:

One thing I recommend is to leave the scale zeroed when stored away or else the zero will vary slightly when weighing charges.

My scale never moves, (only the house). Using the "zero" is setting in any error (mine is always 1/10gr out) I use some form of check wt. to set the required powder wt. therefore no error, inbuilt, or mistakes with reading settings. This also chcecks the powder thrower setting.

quote:

What is the difference between a mechanical arm moveing up when you add a grain or a digit changing?

Those cheap digitals can tell porkies, with no hint of shame.