Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headspace or pressure problem??
 Login/Join

posted
I have noticed that in my 7x57 Mauser the primers are bulged out somewhat. Would this be from excess pressure or maybe a headspace problem? Using the same load I have for some time. Thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: La Crosse, WI | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decribe the gun, the ammunition (whether factory or handloaded and if handloaded the resizing procedure and powder type/quantity), and the nature of the primer "bulge".

Typically, a protruding primer from a fired case is more often the result of LOW pressures rather than high, but this depends on the nature of the protrusion and the nature of the gun/ammunition. Tell us more; inquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
find someone to check headspace in that gun.....most gunsmiths will have a gage for it.....and that is something that needs checking now!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First guess is it's a low pressure load, but it could be headspace, have it checked out.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Have Santa Claus bring you a 7x57 "FIELD" gauge for Christmas. "GO" and "NO-GO" are nice to have, too; but not necessary for the shooter interested in general safety.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If these are reloads and you have used the brass for the loads in question several times it could be your primer pockets loosening up, they also tend to get shallower with subsequent firings---it's always good to know your headspace though.
Good Luck--
Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
if your primers are backing out it means you developed excess headspace.Ive had this problem with a 244 ackley improved chambered rifle I have.the improved cartridge chamber is supposed to accept factory rounds, which expand on firing to fill the new chamber .however,in my rifle the primers would be sticking out because the chamber was a little long for the new brass.I had to expand the case necks up to 25 caliber,then only resize enough to allow the bolt to close tightly on the small shoulder formed in the neck.this allows the case to expand to fit the chamber with the proper headspace.
Its my guess you have been full length resizing and your dies are a little shorter than your chamber and allowed you to push your shoulder back somewhat.
try some factory rounds and see if the problem persists.

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes I have been full length resizing. Have not the problem before. Shooting a Hornady 154 gr sp with I think it was 46 gains, do not have my book here, of IMR 4350. Has been a very accurate load. Will have to check the headspace! Thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: La Crosse, WI | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote