New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oversize cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm loading for a big bore 94 Winchester chambered in 375 Winchester. I have a box of gas checked 260 grain bullets that are sized .380. The bore size is .376. How much over size is too much for moderate loads?
Thanks.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be just fine. You are talking half the diameter of a human hair all the way around that bullet, and there are probably imperfections in the barrel that are larger than the nominal .376". That lead alloy will compress slightly (or elongate just a touch) and the bullet will probably shoot very accurately for you, assuming the diameter of the front portion of the bullet is at least a thousandth or so larger than the top of the lands.

I say load them and go, but as you indicated, be moderate until you see how they act.

Good luck!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Me too; the only consideration is will the loaded rounds chamber; and in this case, it will; otherwise, no problems.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks for the replies. Currently no one is making the jacketed bullets for the cartridge.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hawk does but you will have to pay about 90 cents a piece. I noticed that the usual Hornady 220s are not available right now.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote