Find
Notify
Tools

Why no doughnut?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
I've just finished forming some 6.5mm SAUM cases from 300 Norma SAUM.

First of all, I necked down the 300 SAUM cases in my Hornady 7mm SAUM FL die, without the expander, and no doughnut formed. Incidently, I checked runout and it was sitting around .001 - .002, so thumbs up on the Hornady die.

Then I ran those newly formed cases through my Redding 'S' Type neck die, first with a .298 Wilson bushing, then switched over to my .292 Wilson bushing for the final sizing as I understand necking down in greater than .005 increments can cause excessive runout.

Well, hey first thing I noticed was no doughnut formed and necks still have .001 - .002 runout.

So, why has this happened? I am curious as just about everyone who has been forming 6.5mm SAUM from .300 SAUM reports a doughnut forming...

OR ....

is this because they are forming their cases by entirely using their 'S' type neck die and changing the bushings. I haven't experimented with forming my cases this way, just the process described above as it works very well.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote