New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel length
 Login/Join

<sgs>
posted
Can anyone enlighten me a little on barrel length and how much if any it makes a difference ? I would like to buy a ruger mk2 compact but I am a little undecided on the length of the barrel etc.:

Thank you sgs

<Slamhound>
posted
This is probably a more complicated question [subject] than it seems. It is possible to make noticable and even substantial gains in velocity by going to a 24 or 26" barrel over a 20 or 22" [and in fact a lot of the magnum rifle cartridges owe a little bit of their velocity increase over 'regular' cartridges to the fact they are usually chambered into the longer barrels (and probably have the powder capacity to make good use of it?)] but the significance of the difference is also dependant upon the type of powder and such. My 'rule of thumb' would be that if velocity is the paramount criteria then by all means consider a long barrel. If packability and portability are of significant importance you might want to go with a shorter barrel. I think under 'normal' circumstances [if there is such a thing?] the difference in a few inches of barrel length for a rifle is probably academic? Though, of course, i could be wrong about all this...

<Slamhound>
posted
D-OH! the ruger mk2 is their 22LR target pistol, isn't it? Disregard my previous post- i initially thought we were talking rifles here... silly me! i must be dyslexic or something tonight.
actually if you're talking pistols, usually any apparent accuracy increase from barrel length is a function of sight radius... and with a 22LR cartridge and velocity difference would probably be on the minimal side, in my experience. I'd say go with the barrel length that gives you a sight picture you can handle best and works best w/ your eyesight then practice, practice, practice...

not that any of this helps; i just thought i'd add something anyway...

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think the post is in regard to Rugers M77 MkII youth model bolt guns, with 16 1/2" barrels. My suggestion is, look at data for handguns, like the T/C encore, with its 15" barrel, and you'll be closer to the performance you'll get then looking at rifle data.

As far as pro's and con's, short tubes loose velocity, and increase muzzleblast.

I have, well my wife claimed it, anyhow a ruger .308 ultralight, with 20" barrel, it looses 100-150 fps over a 24" tube, but thats pretty indestingquishable in the field. With the 16 1/2" tube, you're looking at a 300 fps loss, and that is a notable decrease in performance.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
I have an Armalite AR-15 "Predator", early model with an 18" barrel, around 1 1/8" in diameter. I've been using Accurate 2230 in it and it'll make one ragged hole all day. The muzzle blast is no worse than a full length AR-15 and at the velocities that a .223 usually runs I'm not too concerned about loosing 150 fps.

What ever I shoot won't know the difference. Some folks feel that performance (the speed of the bullet) is absolutly essential. I think if you can shoot (hit your mark), then what difference does the speed make? Thousands of game animals have been taken with so-called underpowered rifles.

Unless your hunting dangerous game, or shooting over 300 yards away, take the short barrel. That's my two cents.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<Reloader66>
posted
If you shoot short range from 100 to 300 yards 22" to 24" barrel. if you shoot long range from 300 to 1000 yards you must use 26" to 31" barrels. The main reason for using the longer tube at the longer range is keeping your bullet supersonic. you must maintain velocity to hold your groups at extended range shooting. Short range shooting eliminates that long range factor in the sport of target shooting.
In the hunting venue you must use the 26" to 31" tube to maintain velocity for your long range shots. Long range shooting require you keep your bullet supersonic to hold your groups.
Example the 30-378 Weatherby cartridge using the 220 sierra HPBT with the 31" barrel will post muzzle velocities of 3700 FPS. The 30-378 cartridge has more retained energy at 1200 yards than the 30-06 does at the muzzle using the same bullet.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sgs,

Welcome to the forum.

You might like to check our test on progressively shortening the barrel of a 223.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote