Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a meplat trimmer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I have been reading about meplat trimmers but since I've not used any hollow point bullets till recently, like the Barnes TSX, I've never considered getting one.

I purchased some wildcat bullets and have heard very good things about them. However, I did notice the meplats were visibly asymmetrical. Has anyone used a meplat trimmer and it is difficult to use? I ordered one from Midway because it was $11+ dollars off.

Ultimately I think I will feel better if I true them up even though the guy that makes them shoots very long ranges and hasn't worried about it. Moreover, I would like to know how anyone deburs the tip after trimming.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
just started using one that trims both inside and outside. I have no long range work with them yet so I can't say as to the decrease in group size.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Tubbs version on my TSX's. You can find them here:

http://www.zediker.com/tubb/images/mptcutter/meplatone.html

It seems to help a bit accuracy wise at longer ranges. It can also help a little bit with a short magazined rifle. Probably only worth it if you shoot competively or are an accuracy nut..........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
well, I ordered the BMU from midway. It was $11 and some change discounted.

I'll give it a try on some bullets and compare accuracy to 300 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, they do work, and at long range you can expect less vertical dispersion. They also reduce BC about as advertised, or about 2%. This from 3-4 fellas at LRH about a year back or so. They seemed to like them...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've been doing some reading and it appears that I may not see any measurable difference until I start shooting beyond 5-600 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
500-600 is where the accuracy is supposed to be better, which is why I bought them. I wanted them for 600 and 1000yd benchrest loads. I will say this,..I ran it on some 200gr SMK's in my match gun, and they work like a bomb on deer with that hollow point opened up and cleaned out just a tad. Much more violent with just that very small change.

I use the versions produced by "montour county rifles",..Kevin Kram is his name. they are well made and fairly cheap as far as loading tools go.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I received my BMU Tubbs version today and tried it on some TSX I have loaded up for next month's antelope hunt.

Seems to work well, however there is some play in the bullet hold, so there's no guarantee that I'm trimming them perfectly square.

The goal was to straighten up some of these wildcat bullets I ordered.

I paid $33 for my BMU.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I know that you've had a lot more experience with TSX's effect on live game than I have. I would be very interested to hear if you can tell any discernable difference in terminal effect after BMU'ing.
I shot 1 small deer with a BMU'd TSX out of a 270 Winchester. It's performance basically looked like a 1 1/2 inch light saber had been stuck through the animal, no bone was hit. It ran further and bled less than I expected. But with only a sample of 1 I sure don't want to make any conclusions. It would be nice to hear about your results.
I talked with David Tubbs about it at our range one day and he said that they hadn't done any experiments with hunting bullets.
Good luck on your hunt, looking forward to hearing back..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I can understand the desire to uniform the tips of the bullets, but tests have shown that the base of the bullet is far more important in determining accuracy. I would like to know if you find a tip uniforming process that works well. Bent tips look bad.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I was able to stabilize the bullet bases in a block of wood I made to fit the BMU so there is no play on the bullet hold.

The TSX bullets are all squared up and deburred.

I will square up the wildcat bullets soon. Regarding Tubb's comment on not using the BMU on hunting bullets, I'll add that the wildcat bullets do not have a typical 8 or 10 ogive. They are ULD just like a Berger or Sierra matchking bullet. So, we'll see what happens with those once the new rifle shows up.

I should be at the range soon with the TSX bullets in my brother's .270...maybe even tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

I do not know enough about the topic on what is more important, the tip or the base of the bullet in terms of accuracy outcomes. However, I see the benefits of both being as uniform as possible.

Regardless, I have a tool that is supposed to be beneficial, and it doesn't take long to trim the meplats. I'll let you all know the outcome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, just curious, what is the new rifle?

Where are you heading for the goats? I'll be interested to learn about your meplat trimming results data.(that really sounds technical doesn't it?) At any rate, good luck with your new rig and on your goat hunt.

Take Care--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The new rifle is a .270 Allen Mag. The bullets are 169.5 grain ULD RBBT.

It is a 300 RUM necked down to a .277 with a shoulder change.

Estimated velocity of the bullet mentioned is between 3300-3500fps.

Dan Lilja tooled up for this bullet/rifle combo and is making the 270 in #8 twist to stabilize this bullet. I believe it is a 3 groove.

1 antelope hunt down (archery-Nebraska), 1 to go (Wyoming).

I'm putting a Nightforce scope on it for long range shooting. It is a Nightforce Series NXS, reticle is an NP-R2, 5.5x22-56