Find
Notify
Tools

Need help: R-15 with 300 grain 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Need help: R-15 with 300 grain 375 H&H?

I was really hoping to take the Remington Safari grade ammo to Africa with me, but sticky cases eliminate that idea. I'd still like to hunt with the A-frames so I think I'll be reloading.

R-15 has worked for my 375 H&H loads to date so I'd like to stick with it too. I know that I have to work up each individual rifle's load, but for comparison sake has anyone used R-15 to build a 300 grain hunting load?

My manual lists a max load of R-15 as 66.5 grains for 300 grain projectiles (hence my plinking load of 66 grains). I have tried loads up to 68 grains without increasing accuracy or seeing any pressure signs, but as I was only reloading to plink and planning to hunt with factory ammo, I backed off to the lighter load. Now that I am thinking about a hunting load I will start with 68 grains and go from there. This will not be for dangerous game. I'm after kudu, oryx and smaller antelope.

I'm new at reloading so I don't have ballistics software or a chrony. I also lack the field experience to know if I can reasonably expect 68 grains to take a quartering away Kudu at 200 yards. If not, as long as accuracy is constant and I'm not getting sticky cases or flat primers when should I stop adding powder?

I know that people have had great success with 270 grain loads, but my rifle seems to like 300 grain projectiles better and I've decided to use
the 300s.

Last - what brass do you recommend? All comments, thoughts and advice
are appreciated!

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently asked a very similar question and the responses I got were 70 to 72 grains of RL-15 with a 300 grain bullet in 375 H&H. I am currently wroking my way up from the 66.5 listed on the Alliant Powder website. I am using Remington brass. Many of the replys to my earlier post said other brands of brass may hold more powder but may not be as strong. I look forward to the other more knowledgable reloaders replys to your post - especially about the killing power of a less than maximum load for large plains game.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-15 From 56.8 grains to 70.1 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regular factory ammo...the plain old vanilla stuff.....will typically chronograph around 2480-2500 fps with the 300 gr bullet .... assuming a 24" barrel....this is more than 4100 ftlbs of energy. You would have more than enough for almost any kind of shot on kudu as long as you can put the bullet where you want. You don't need to buy the "Safari" loads.

I would suggest you try regular loads that are available with a bullet like the Nosler Partition. I would also stay away from bullets less than 300 gr as they are more efficient than anything lighter when it comes to "down-range" performance. The only reason I would consider them is for someone who is not very recoil tolerant.

If you are a relatively new reloader (hope you have a couple of the manuals and have read them carefully...I like the Nosler) I would not take a chance on my first safari with ammo I was less than 100% sure of AND I wouldn't be concerned about shooting tiny, tiny groups. If your rifle will put 3 shots into 1.5 to 2" you will do fine in Africa. Practice, practice and then practice some more from various field positions....sight your rifle in and then stay away from the bench. Good luck!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mssgn,
Winchester brass is good stuff, a little lighter and roomier internal capacity, and is my preferred 375 H&H brass.

I used the Winchester brass with 72 grains of RL-15, an F215 Match primer, and a 300 grain X Bullet. It gave 2528 fps and 3/4 MOA for three shots.

I think that is a good load. RL-15 is a good powder, heat stable. 72 grains is the maximum Barnes Manual load with the 300 grain X Bullet. In my case they seemed to be right on.

Have you chronographed your load? Nothing wrong with Remington brass. Just work up to 2500 fps and knock off around there, for classic 375 H&H performance with RL-15.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Brass
CCI Large Rifle Mag Primers
With 70 grains of Reloader 15 I get 2,520 fps with the 300 grain Swift A-Frame

With 71 grains of Reloader 15, I get 2,520 fps with the 300 grain Barnes solids.

These two loads shoot exactly to the same point of impact at 100 yards. I have a couple of 100 yard targets that have 6 holes touching, 3 solids & 3 softs. This was my "do everything" load in Africa last year (buffalo & plainsgame hunt).

The rifle is a Sako M75 375H&H with a Leupold 2.5-8x 36mm scope in Sako rings.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 71 grs. in all my 375's with any 300 gr. bullet..

My all time favorite powder is IMR-4064 in the 375 H&H..67 grs of 4064 always gives me one hole groups with a good rifle..68.5 is max in most rifles.

the 300 gr. Northforks with 67 grs. of 4064 shoot exceeding good groups in all the 375's that I have shot them in...Mostly in the 1/2" range..it is the most consistant load I have ever used in any caliber...it seems to work in everything.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I shoot 71 grs. in all my 375's with any 300 gr. bullet..

My all time favorite powder is IMR-4064 in the 375 H&H..67 grs of 4064 always gives me one hole groups with a good rifle..68.5 is max in most rifles.

the 300 gr. Northforks with 67 grs. of 4064 shoot exceeding good groups in all the 375's that I have shot them in...Mostly in the 1/2" range..it is the most consistant load I have ever used in any caliber...it seems to work in everything.

Posts: 142 | Location: chicago | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the above screw-up..http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
The information about Rem. ammo being loaded "hot"
is troublesome for anyone shooting a double. In fact I was looking for a "cool" factory load awhile back to try to keep pressures low. I use H4831,
78grains in Norma brass, Woodleigh 300 gr bullets.
This gives about 2350fps, and I'm regulated. I can assure you that the sectional density of the 300gr bullet will provide an effective shot even quartering away, given proper placement. 150fps
won't matter too much to the animal. BTW, I think solids should be loaded a couple grains low because their relative inflexibility raises pressure.

Posts: 142 | Location: chicago | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
I think for plains game big and small that a 300 gr. bullet is heavier than necessary. I have worn out the barrel on one 375, and well on the way with my current rifle and a new 375 being built as we speak. A 375 with 260gr. partition bullet is more than plenty of bullet for your task in hand. I shot literally thousands of rounds with 270 gr. hornady bullets and believe me when I tell you that the 260 and the 300 gr Partitions are a much better bullet all around.
lb404

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. Serious load work is on hold. My scope is enroute back to Leupold for a scratched lens. I'm waiting for my Snipe pod to arrive and loggers have temporarily (few days?) left a tree top laying on my shooting range. So I am waiting....

Meanwhile I'll try to assemble componants.

BTW: Several brands of off the shelf ammo and Federals Safari grade nosler load all perform 1-1.5 MOA in my rilfe. Only the Remington ammo was sub 1/2 MOA and I only have 2 groups to base that on. Still I'll at least measure the over all case length to duplicate.

Thanks again.

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote