New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new .458 Lott has just arrived. It has a 23 inch Krieger barrel built on a M70 action. At this point I'm going to load either Woodleigh or the new Barnes solids. Could you guys give me some of your favorite loads as a starting point, and your opinion of these bullets.
Thanks!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jjs--thanks!! I have used Triple Shocks in my .300 Win.Mag on plains game. They are truely the most devastating bullets I have yet used on several African trips. The 2250 fps was about what I was thinking. Did the Triple Shocks and the solids shot to the same point of aim? Some of the reloading outfits are now using the new Barnes solid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Do you have a Barnes Manual? Are you speaking of the round nose Barnes Solid or the yet to be released (as far as I know) Flat Nosed Groove Solid?

I have not had much time to develop loads for my Lott..only tested one powder H4895 in both the Barnes RN Solid and the Triple Shocks both 500 grain bullets before I went to Tanzania. I will want to play around with some different powders (burn rates) to see what I can come up with.

I used a middle of the road loading, according to the Barnes Manual, H4895 with Hornady Brass and Federal 215 Match Grade Primers. I loaded to a nomial 2250 fps with the 500 grain bullets. Accuracy is more than adequate and performance on the two Cape Buffalo I shot was fantasic. If it can't be killed from a good shot with a 458 cal. 500 grain bullet at 2250 fps I do not want to hunt it!

I used only the Barnes Triple Shocks on the hunt, as the Solids were not needed. The TSX will exit completely on shoulder shots...causing great destruction along the way. The only bullet I recovered was from a second shot on a Buffalo that regained his footing (after having both Shoulders broken and much damage to his plumbing)...Buffalo can absorb some real punishment! I shot that Buffalo again straight on..in the front shoulder and through the entire animal...you can actually see the back leg being broken on the video...that bullet came to rest in the ankle (complete penetration). The weight of that bullet was 499 grains and was a perfectly mushroomed "X". The other Buffalo I shot through both shoulders did not get up. I gave my Solids to a PH, who is going to use them on Elephant...Hopefully, I will get a report on their performance!

Let me know what you develop and I will do likewise. If you need information I have the Barnes Manual and will be more than happy to provide info to you. However, if you call Barnes, speak with Ty, I am sure he will give you anything you need.

I plan on giving the Northforks a try...however the Triple Shocks work great!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote