New
Find
Notify
Tools

.35 Rem with 180 Flatnose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My first attempt at loading this Speer bullet gave decent accuracy, but nothing to write home about. Powder was AA2520, which is probably not ideal.

Could anyone share their favorite load recipe for the .35 Rem with 180 grain bullet?

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A lot of people will tell you this is too hot. In any case (no pun intended) approach from at least 5 grains below!! I developed this load in an old J.C. Higgins M45, (actually a Marlin 336 made for Sears), which had regular, not microgroove rifling!! I developed this load in 1977, using DuPont IMR 3031 powder, and DO NOT KNOW IF PRESENT-DAY IMR3031 IS THE SAME!! Hence, you have to work it up slowly, to be safe!! I had no pressure problems with this load in my old J.C. Higgins. Extraction was easy, and casses lsted about 5 r4loadings. Keep a lookout for incipient case-head separations, and adjust your sizing die so it does NOT touch the case shoulder!!

BULLET POWDER GRAINS PRIMER O/A LGT Muzzle Vel (chrono'ed)

Speer180 3031 43 Grns Fed210 62mm 2374 FPS

My old Marlin-J.C. Higgins (20" bbl), which had an excellent trigger and a 2.5X scope, would put 3 shots into 1" @ 100 yards using this load.

[ 03-06-2003, 00:17: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
H-335 From 34.0 grains to 42.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and forgot to add, the rifle is a 1951 Marlin 336A, with 24" barrel and regular style rifling.

I'll keep an eye out for those powders and primers.

[ 03-06-2003, 01:13: Message edited by: swampfox ]

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:

Speer180 3031 43 Grns Fed210 62mm 2374 FPS

Dont try this at home kids, and always wear your saftey gear. [Big Grin]

The Speer #9 shows 41.5 grns 3031 as a MAX load. The more recent Speer manuals dropped that powder in 35 Rem altogether. Im guessing that is because it hits peak pressures quickly.

I was going to chronograph some loads last Saturday with some Rlr 12 I found about but didnt get around to it. Ive been real curious how the new Rlr (10X) would fare in the 35.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Swampfox, Lots of powders work well in the 35Rem.

Long, long ago in my youth, I had the privilege of "Dragging Deer" for 3 Elders that used 35Rems. All of them used the same load of H4895 and a 180gr Speer. I don't know the amount of powder they used, but I'd not bother to post it anyhow.

It isn't the "best high performance"(highest velocity) powder, but it always worked for them. Only once did I hear one of them shoot twice and when I got to him, he had 2 Deer ready to Drag.

Excellent bullet and a great caliber.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
quote:
Dont try this at home kids, and always wear your saftey gear. The Speer #9 shows 41.5 grns 3031 as a MAX load. The more recent Speer manuals dropped that powder in 35 Rem altogether. Im guessing that is because it hits peak pressures quickly.
The Speer No. 8 manual shows 42 grains as max. This is 0.5 grains more than the #9. My load was 1 grain more than the Speer #8. As all rifles are individuals, this load could very easily be too much for some guns. i believe I said that!! Now, as to the burning rate of IMR 3031, yes, it is a relatively fast powder, but not in a case like the .35 Remington!! 43 grains was a compressed load. Actually, 3031 was first produced for the .257 Roberts cartridge. IMR 4198 is even faster, but well suited to a small capacity, relatively straight walled, artridge that has almost no shoulder.

[ 03-06-2003, 19:40: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've been using 42 gr. H322 with the Speer 180 gr FP bullet. It is in a manual but... As always it is YOUR responsibility to work up and load properly.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I went back out to shoot the last of my handloads up and got a 50 yard 3 shot group of 3/4". Some ancient 200 grain Silvertips went 2"...same point of impact as the 180's.
Two things different, my front ivory bead got knocked off and I was using the now much smaller "slightly ivory" post. [Big Grin] Also switched to an NRA 100 yard smallbore target; a little easier to see than the net printout one I used previously.

At any rate I'm going to try changing primers first and see what that will do for me. Thank you all for the suggestions and info.

One thing, my handloads were ejecting with sooty case necks while the factory Silvertips did not. Kinda wondering about that.

My load is 38.6 grains of AA2520, winchester case, 180 grain Speer, WLR primer, Factory Crimp Die.

Thanks again for all the help

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like the 35 Rem and use 3031 powdwer. I am only able to get 180 and 200 grain bullets. I would like to get 150"s to duplicate the Remington factory load which I like alot, Remington doesn't offer this bullet as a component, at least not where I have ever found them. Does anyone have another sourse. I don't see al;ot written about this fine old cartridge.

Posts: 66 | Location: York PA | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some Re-7 (and like Wstrnhuntr I would like to try some Re-10) with your 180 gr's. I use Re-7 and AA2015 to get my highest V with 200 gr's. My loads are "over book" for my custom Rem Model 7.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Witness,

Do a search here. One of the members made a special order of those 150's and they are for sale!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Witness, Don is correct.

www.dustinbrass.com has the 35cal 150gr PSPs.

I'm in the middle of moving, but once I get settled, I plan to order some from him too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Witness, Don is correct.

www.dustinbrass.com has the 35cal 150gr PSPs.

I'm in the middle of moving, but once I get settled, I plan to order some from him too.

Don't wait too long to place your order! Paul Dustin solicited orders enough to get Rem to make a run of this bullet just for him (50,000 bullets).

As of about 2 weeks ago, there was 29,000 left and he is selling in 500 or 1000 bullet lots. These won't last much longer I think!

Paul Dusting is a nice guy! He has really gone out of his way for me.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote