New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot Help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used Blue Dot in my 7mm-08, 30-06, 6.5x55 and 7.62x39, great stuff. I would like to know if any of you have any data for Blue Dot in .303 Brit?

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have some load data I did in the 30/40 Krag which would be the same thing...

PM me if you are interested in the results...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Ps.

I'd recommend SR 4759 tho in that case...It is pretty much my 'TOGOTO' powder in the Krag, and the 8mm Mauser...its accuracy is as good if not better than Blue Dot in those two cases....

More load data is around also for SR 4759.. I had to personally develop all of my load data on Blue Dot...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Seafire! I will take you up on your offer. PM sent.

Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Seafire

Would you share this data for 303 with me?

Regards..

...Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a note of thank you to Seafire,

Years ago he sent me loads of data on Blue Dot in everything from 223 to 30-06 and it was spot on.

Still use the 243 data to great effect on chucks and crows with cast lead bullets.

He has tested things pretty well and what he tells you will be pretty close to what you get.

Sorry to take years to get back and say thanks.

Gary

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Many of us have benefited from Seafire's work with Blue Dot. I run it in my 20VT as under 200 yd load and my 7x57 with cast. Have just built a 6.5GM and will trial the first BD loads this morning using S F's load parameters.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto here. Seafire's data helped turn my no-longer-used .338 WinMag into a .33 WCF - which is much more practical on our small Texas deer. I can shoot the .260 for longer stretches on a 100+ degree day thanks to the lower barrel temps, accuracy is as good as with Varget, etc. Other cartridges have done as well. I certainly don't use BlueDot all the time nor in every rifle. but I keep more BlueDot in inventory than any other powder.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello

Does anyone have Bluedot loads for 303 Brit?

Regards...

...Titan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire
Do you still share data for Blue Dot?
I would sure like to see what you have for my rifles. from the .22 Hornet up to the .375 H&H and 45-70.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Seafire
Do you still share data for Blue Dot?
I would sure like to see what you have for my rifles. from the .22 Hornet up to the .375 H&H and 45-70.

+1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
first time I have been in here in like a year or more... but folks desiring Blue Dot Load Data can feel free to PM me...

I hang out elsewhere these days...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
first time I have been in here in like a year or more... but folks desiring Blue Dot Load Data can feel free to PM me...

I hang out elsewhere these days...

holycowWelcome back!Now if we can Hot Core to return we can stir the camp fire a little. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was reloading I settled on Blue Dot for my 44 mag revolver. excellant accuracy and clean burning.
Since then the company said don't use in 357 revolver.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Seafire, where are you haging out these days? And like Roger, I wonder where old Hot Core went. I used to really get into it with him about the 270 Winchester, which he hated and I love. Fun.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Back when I was reloading I settled on Blue Dot for my 44 mag revolver. excellant accuracy and clean burning.
Since then the company said don't use in 357 revolver.

Where the 357 mag is involved two things have changed. As I understand it the formula for Blue Dot has been changed but more importantly the SAAMI pressures for the 357 have been dropped from the original 40000cup down to 30000cup. Most new reloading manuals reflect the SAAMI pressure reductions - but not all of them. The data in the 6th printing of the 5th edition of the Sierra manual still lists original loadings with H110 and W 296. In my Ruger I still use the original H110 data and have not had any problems with it in the last 42 years.

My 47th edition Lyman manual shows the maximum load of 19.5 gr of H110 with 140 gr bullet while the 49th edition lists the maximum load at 18.0 for the same bullet.

The reduction in pressure was put in place to protect the "under-built" 357 magnums on the market - like the lightweight Smiths and Taurus revolvers that were coming apart with heavy factory loads.

Blue dot is still listed in the 49th edition Lyman manual with jacketed and lead bullets. It is also listed in the latest Sierra manual too.

I do not know whether those manuals reflect the warning from the manufacturer or not. There seems to be a conflict with the powder.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Seafire, where are you haging out these days? And like Roger, I wonder where old Hot Core went. I used to really get into it with him about the 270 Winchester, which he hated and I love. Fun.

Jerry

Jerry,

I migrated over to 24 hr CF...

I noted you are in Mesa... I am currently down here in Arizona... and I don't know if you have plans, but a batch of Campfire Members are going to be getting together next Saturday at Dangerous Dave's BBQ, that shares the parking lot with Bass Pro Shop....

I set it up... and it will be at 1:30 on Sat the 16th... if you would like to drop by as my guest, would love to have ya...

same for any other AR members who'd like to attend... its a meet and greet...

best regards
john chr.
seafire

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

holycowWelcome back!Now if we can Hot Core to return we can stir the camp fire a little. beerroger[/QUOTE]

thanks Roger....

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jerry

Hot Core ahhhhhhhhhhhh one of my best friends, from what I heard and I think it was on this board the kind old fart passed away.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I'd love to come over and see you and other AR members. Just to make sure I am thinking of the right place, It's Famous Dave's, right? That's in the same parking lot as Bass Pro, right of Dobson Road, which I live fairly close too!

Jerry Eden

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Hot Core ahhhhhhhhhhhh one of my best friends, from what I heard and I think it was on this board the kind old fart passed away.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear of this. That explains, why he hasn't been after me for recommending the 270 Winchester for most hunts.

Jerry

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seafire, I'd love to come over and see you and other AR members. Just to make sure I am thinking of the right place, It's Famous Dave's, right? That's in the same parking lot as Bass Pro, right of Dobson Road, which I live fairly close too!

Jerry Eden

yeah Jerry,

that is the same one...1:30
Saturday the 16th...

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hot Core ahhhhhhhhhhhh one of my best friends, from what I heard and I think it was on this board the kind old fart passed away.

Sorry to hear of this. That explains, why he hasn't been after me for recommending the 270 Winchester for most hunts.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

condolences to Hot Core's family if that is the case...

at the same time, I hope it wasn't due to him testing Blue Dot loads trying to blow up something to prove me wrong...per usual...

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Seafire, now that you mention it, I remember how he got after you about using Blue Dot. Me too, when I reported back that 10-11 grains in a 223, worked nicely. He thought I was crazy, LOL.

Still I appreciated his, well shall we say candor, LOL>

I plan on being there on Saturday.

Jerry Eden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I understand it the formula for Blue Dot has been changed but more importantly the SAAMI pressures for the 357 have been dropped from the original 40000cup down to 30000cup. Most new reloading manuals reflect the SAAMI pressure reductions...
Not quite right. The Speer #14 manual lists 45,000 cup as the SAAMI maximum pressure for the .357 Magnum, not 30,000 cup. Lyman #48 lists loads as high as 45,000 cup. The Hodgdon website lists .357 loads as high as 43,200 cup.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
quote:
As I understand it the formula for Blue Dot has been changed but more importantly the SAAMI pressures for the 357 have been dropped from the original 40000cup down to 30000cup. Most new reloading manuals reflect the SAAMI pressure reductions...
Not quite right. The Speer #14 manual lists 45,000 cup as the SAAMI maximum pressure for the .357 Magnum, not 30,000 cup. Lyman #48 lists loads as high as 45,000 cup. The Hodgdon website lists .357 loads as high as 43,200 cup.

And SAAMI lists the maximum at 30000.
The histor shows the max pressure was dropped twice. The first time to 35000 and the current maximum is at 30000.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not certain where your "SAAMI" pressures come from, but this site lists the SAAMI max pressure as 45,000 CUP: http://kwk.us/pressures.html

This authoritative site shows 45,000 CUP: http://www.sv-verstal.com/Wied.../Accurate/357Mag.pdf

The SAAMI site itself shows a 35,000 psi MAP which corresponds to 45,000 CUP: http://www.saami.org/specifica...ty_Pressure_CfPR.pdf

Perhaps you are confusing psi with cup?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:

Jerry

bsflag
If this is true I've been E-Mailing a ghost.
spaceroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
quote:

Jerry

bsflag
If this is true I've been E-Mailing a ghost.
spaceroger

Good to know!!

Hot Core was a hoot and I enjoyed his posts and comments immensely. Glad to hear he is still alive and well!
Carry on old timer, you are one of a kind and are surely missed around here.