Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .410 on a Rockchucker ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok… Here’s the deal,
I own a pistol chambered in .410 / 45LC. I don't run a large volume of shells through it but I would like to be able to reload my own shot shells.

The .410 shot gun case is no bigger around than a 45LC and is no taller than modern (Magnum) rifle shells. I don’t see any physical reason why this shell couldn’t be reloaded in my Rockchucker. However, I haven’t seen any of the Die manufacturers making sets to reload .410.

What am I missing ?

What solution would you recommend ?

thanks,

J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Spend the $94 for a MEC 600 Jr. or buy factory.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Point taken Steve.

However, my reloading bench is already covered with a Dillon XL650, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a MEC 650 (12ga: which they don't sell alternate caliber die sets for).

It's not a question of money, it's more a question of space. My reloading bench looks like a Christmas tree farm the way it is.

I was hoping for an alternative that didn't involve a major remodeling of my reloading room.

As far as factory..... The selection of loadings when it comes to Buck shot is very limited. I want to use #4 Buck (.240) in a 3" shell. The selection seems to be almost nonexistent.

J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's a question of space, not money, then I suggest that you get the MEC single-stage .410 press, but that you mount it on your bench only when you are actually using it. That's what I do with my various presses -- I unbolt them and pack them away (in a box, or standing in a corner, or whatever) when I am not actually using them. Thus I can do all my loading on one small bench.

I find that the process of bolting and unbolting a press from the bench takes only about 5 minutes or less.

I have the holes for each press pre-drilled, and the bolts for each press stay with it. I use 1/4 inch bolts, with hex heads and nuts, and have the wrenches hanging on the wall next to the bench. So it's simple and quick to set up or take down any of the presses.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.W. Blute:
Point taken Steve.

However, my reloading bench is already covered with a Dillon XL650, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a MEC 650 (12ga: which they don't sell alternate caliber die sets for).

It's not a question of money, it's more a question of space. My reloading bench looks like a Christmas tree farm the way it is.

I was hoping for an alternative that didn't involve a major remodeling of my reloading room.

As far as factory..... The selection of loadings when it comes to Buck shot is very limited. I want to use #4 Buck (.240) in a 3" shell. The selection seems to be almost nonexistent.

Sounds like you have to do what I did...

Put a second bench in the reloading room. One for rifle and handgun (mine now contains two RCBS Rock Chuckers, RCBS Big Max, a couple of RCBS scales, Lyman powder measures, RCBS CaseMate (or whatever they call it), powder tricklers, loading blocks, Forster trimmers and meatloaf pans, paint brush strainers, calipers and micrometers, "gunsmith" screwdrivers, and old toothbrushes).

The second bench has the MEC 650 and MEC 9000G on it, as well as all the little things, like charge bars and inserts, more toothbrushes, more meatloaf pans, and even a lasagna pan.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes dies that screw into your rockchucker, but they are $76 from places. Try buffaloarms.com

Lee used to make a lee loader in 410 but they don't anymore.

What I would do is buy a roll crimper from ballistic products. I have become a big roll crimp fan the last few years. Now you might need to size the hulls, personally I would turn one out of a piece of 7/8" X 14 threaded stock and just bore it out to whatever size. However if you could find an old lee loader you'd be set.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote