New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 steyr prohunter seating depth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it just me or do these things have really long throats? I am shooting 140gr SST. Seating to the max length and pretty sure I can seat out further before I touch the lands. I am on my way to by an aol gauge but was just wondering what your oal is?

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most do and the 6.5x55 is built on a longer action giving you more magazine room as well. you should have no problems shooting the heavy long bullets. what accuracy are you getting?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 6.5X57, same action as for the 6.5X55 and yes mine has a long throat. Seat them as far as you want, the magazine seems to take anything I have loaded yet. Mine likes the longer seated rounds for accuracy as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started load development today and was somewhat satisfied with accuracy. it was shooting 1-1.5inches at 100yards with everything I was feeding it, but really opened up at 300yards. In my manual it states that the maximum overal length is 3.15" What do you guys seat your bullets out to? and can I expect to get groups of 1-1.5" at 300 yards?

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Swedes are throated for long shanked 160 gr RN bullets, not long pointy VDL types like the SST or A-Max. You likely won`t get the bullet seated out to the leade with this bullet and still have an exceptable amount of bullet shank in the case mouth.
As to seeing 1"-1.5" 300 yd groups, I never have done it nor do I feel I likely will with my Swede. You may but...... popcorn

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote