New
Find
Notify
Tools

How good a load is this.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar load for a 22-250.

I've just got a Tikka stainless synthetic in
22-250 and got some handloads from the dealer I got the gun from.

They are 55grain Hornady V-Max over 32.4 grains of Hodgdon #4895.

I haven't had a chance to try things out yet and intend to reload for myself.

Is this load a good starting point?

Posts: 31 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems that someone else loaded those. Check the load for yourself at Hodgdon's or Hornady's site.

You could start handloading by buying some loading books and reading the online sites.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IF that is what the load really is, it is on the light side.

H-4895 From 31.1 grains to 36.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
The few times I've used ammo loaded by somebody else, I always pulled a few bullets and checked overall case length, actual weight of powder charge, etc.. How are the boxes, bags, whatever, marked? Do they show primer brand/type, bullet brand/type/weight, o'all length, date loaded, and so on? Generally, guys who put detailed data on their product are pretty good about doing other things the right way.

4895 is a super powder in the 22-250. It should really start to perform when you get up around 35 grains or so with the 55 grain bullet.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, this was my first post so I thought I would try this to get me started.

The dealer I got the gun from loads this set up for a few folk and finds it performs well.

I got 100 new cases and got him to load some.

I thought it would be safer to get the rifle set with his loads then work on my own.

It seems that the 32.4 grains of 4895 is a bit low so I'll steadilly increase that and see what happens.

the primers were CCI standard lge rifle and OAL is 59.5mm

thanks again

Posts: 31 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although every rifle is a rule to itself, I frequently find many shooters of the .22-250 using 35.5 grains of H4895 with a 55 grain bullet, which has always been a favorite of mine. Your load is mild and will do fine, but you can likely get another 100-200 fps by stepping up about 3 grains.

Good luck with your new rifle!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote