New
Find
Notify
Tools

270WSM primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what winchester primers do you all use in 270 wsm?

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will tell you have never loaded for the 270WSM, but have loaded for the 300WSM and I use Magnum primers in it. But on the other hand my rule of thumb is if it says "magnum" in the nomenclature I use a magnum primer. This simplifies life to a great extent. While discussing primers, I also use a magnum primer whenever I load a cartridge with "ball" powder but don't use ball powders in my rifle loads because they are all double base and that makes them more tempurature sensitive. I work up my loads carefully and I disregard the primer recommendation of the data manual often, but that is just me. You do as you see fitting and proper.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just starting working up loads for the 270WSM and the data I have rec a WLRM.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmo:
Most (if not all) of my .270 WSM load data says to use WLRM primers. That's what I use in all of my loads. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Fed 210M primers for my .270 WSM. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I use Fed 210M primers for my .270 WSM. Good shooting.

thumb Ditto on the 210M

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be using a lee auto prime and I read in the manual it is only safe with cci or winchester primers. Have any of you all tried federal primers with the auto prime?

Posts: 55 | Location: ky | Registered: 08 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo729:
I will be using a lee auto prime and I read in the manual it is only safe with cci or winchester primers. Have any of you all tried federal primers with the auto prime?

That is what I exclusively load primers with and all I use is federal. Works great!!

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the WLRM primers for my .270WSM with fairly decent results. I tried Federal 215M, but results were always better with the WLRM.

I've used the Lee Autoprime with only the WLRMs (had to modify the throat to hold the larger cases). I've been cautioned against using Federal primers in the Autoprime, but truthfully, I've never actually met anyone directly who has had a problem with it.

Is there any truth to this warning or is it only a myth?

Posts: 31 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
Federal 215 Mag Primers or the 215GM's. Waht ever is available when I'm out but I stocked up now!!!

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo729:

Yep, and CCI and WLR....no problems here but I take my time and am methodical about it.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use auto prime also. I would suggest only loading 20 of so primers at a time. Point away from you and don't have powder in front of you while priming. I've had primers go off with lees auto prime and they were CCIs. I've never had primers in tray go though.

It'll scare you more than anything though.

You want some fun, try using lees manual loader, the one you tap on with hammer te seat primer, it'll make you jumpy for sure.

RC

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote