THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Readings From My Chronograph. The Solution.
 Login/Join

<Savage 99>
posted
The circa 1987 Pact that I have been using seemed to be giving low readings. This was bothering me for a long time that I could not seem to keep up with what I was reading on the net or the books for that matter.

It's not all that easy to borrow another chrono. and shoot them in tandem so I called Pact and got dismissed as reported here. I was all set to order a new CED as I am remain extremely impressed by their knowledge and enthusiasm.

Then a friend offered to loan me his Chrony or sell me a Oehler 35P that he picked up used and never tried. I bought the Oehler and the problem is over. Not only are the velocities right on but the spreads are reported tighter.

Just relying on one source of information can lead one astray. I think that I did a pretty good job of not overloading to get the velocities up to where they should be. While I am not positive what the error on the Pact was with the new screens or bar perhaps 75 fps is the right number. Now that I have fiddled with the Pact screens it's close to the Oehler now. I am going to calibrate the Pact to the Oehler and give it to a friend who does not have the cash right now.

This is just one persons report of only two machines. Most of the Pact systems out there must be just fine?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
The circa 1987 Pact that I have been using seemed to be giving low readings...

Just set it on top of a Box, Stump, etc. and that will give you "higher" readings. [Big Grin]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
myself, I might have sent it in to them, and asked them to check it. especially with the 35 saying better speeds.

they might be jerks, but when you say "fine, these are known for giving HIGHER velocity errors (when folks don't open them all the way) then why is it SLOW"

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Pact said that if the clock is running then it's right on. They did not have the time to talk about the screens which also could affect the reading. As I mentioned in another thread it seems that I had never read or forgotten the instructions and I did not have the screen bar level.

After an informative call with CED filled me in on all of the details of chronograph operation the Pact is now closer to the Oehler. It's going out the door in any case.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
send it to me... i'll give it a proper firing line... have a 470 mbogo, a 500 jeffery and a 58 caliber whack it at once...

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote