THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need a duck load that won't hurt patio furniture

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a duck load that won't hurt patio furniture
 Login/Join

<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
OK guys, you first need to understand. I live in a single-family neighborhood in the CENTER of Dallas, Texas. There is not one inch of land without concrete or some structure on it within 20 miles of my house.

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/duck9.jpg

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/duck8.jpg

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/duck4.jpg

The story: About 4-5 years ago we had a pair of ducks visit our pool for several days each year. They did this for about 3 years then disappeared. Today, they showed up again.

Two questions. How long do ducks live? What caliber will harvest a duck dinner and not harm patio furniture? This all assumes that the police don�t show up when I pop a cap and I don�t have to shoot my wife first to harvest my dinner :-)

Speaking of wife, She had to take a piece of my secret recipe jalapeno cornbread out for them to eat. Within 2 minutes guess what?

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/crow1.jpg

Now obviously you guys spending hundreds of dollars on crow decoys and calls just need to purchase some of my secret cornbread!

Guys, I don�t have photographic proof of this next one but,,, 15 years ago I go out my front door to get the mail and there is a 10-point buck (as in MONSTER deer) standing flat-footed in my front yard! I SWEAR ON MY MOTHERS GRAVE!

Send your hunting lease checks to: Mike�s lodge, dead center of Dallas, Texas 75229. Pull up that zip code on yahoo maps and you�ll be amazed that critters could even get here past the freeways!

P.S. Cornbread bait not included in lease fee.

Shoot safe,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
2nd, I used to live in a neighborhood that sounds just like where you are. We had squirrels running all over the place and getting into everything you can imagine. I found that a bag of potato chips and a decent .22 rimfire with a scope with those little CCI CB caps will pop the living fire outta those limb rats and they sound like a quiet pellet gun. You can get the whole herd before they figured out what was going on.
BTW, my checks in the mail.
PS: Feed them a bunch of that secret cornbread before cooking to season em up.
*Nut*

------------------
My wife said "If you load ONE more box of ammo, I'm gonna take the dog and leave"
God, I'm sure gonna miss that dog. Red Face)

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
2ndaryexplosioneffect - Shooting migratory birds out of season will involve the Feds not just the local boys in blue. I would suggest that you get a dog instead. This way you can keep your guns and ability to hunt. Otherwise you will be knee deep in something more unpleasant than duck crap.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Airgun will do if you go for the headshot.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously a Mexican crow.

I dunno why you want to shoot the ducks but CB caps will do them. I would strongly recommend that you do not do that, but if they are somehow really a pest.......

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I'm not at all surprised about the big deer in the middle of Dallas.
Some of the biggest deer in the state of PA are in Philadelphia County in Pennypack Park!

Wanna trade hunts?

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Drift:
2ndaryexplosioneffect - Shooting migratory birds out of season will involve the Feds not just the local boys in blue. I would suggest that you get a dog instead.

It's called humor :-) I wouldn't clean a duck for it. I no longer shoot anything that I cannot field dress at the same time. A rancher gave me the username because I used a 240 Wby Mag to deal with the turtle infestation in his stock pond.

Shoot safe,
Mike

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Tell that to the Feds mister.

You have the right to remain silent, you have the right to have an attorney present during questioning, if you....

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
2ND- the username works!!!!!!!! It took a second.. but I can see it plain as day. Kinda like shooting my SuperblackHawk at dogfish as they are spawning. Makes Old Faithful look tame.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
We had ducks on the pool in Moreno Valley last year; my wife's four-year-old grandson ran out to greet them and they hit the road ( in a manner of speaking ). You could try a bow and arrow, legal for waterfowling if they are in season...

Tom

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Here's the solution. It's safe. It's legal. And it's funny.

Local corporation had problems with Canada Geese being attracted to the ponds on campus. Then the grounds, where employees liked to sit for lunch, were littered with goose poop.

No amount of "chasing" "screaming" "threats" would run them off.

Then one of the secretarys order a couple inflatable alligator pool toys.

No more geese.

<ppro>
posted
2nd effect

I like the idea of you getting the dog.
You could send him out at night to get you one of the ducks while they are sleeping !!

Save the bullets for the buck in the from yard !

regards

paul

one of us
posted Hide Post
2nd,

If I was serious about a duck dinner I would lean toward the pellet gun. Some of the higher end guns should be called rifles. They will have have more than enough power for pass through head shots. Plus they are great for practicing trigger control indoors.

I had friends that had problems with Sea Gulls. Alkaseltzer (sp?), It's not pretty but it is effective.

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try watching them and enjoying them. I am happy when I have duck visitors. I am a no pacifist and am a serious hunter. Shooting them will make a mess too.

quote:
Originally posted by 2ndaryexplosioneffect:
OK guys, you first need to understand. I live in a single-family neighborhood in the CENTER of Dallas, Texas. There is not one inch of land without concrete or some structure on it within 20 miles of my house.

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/duck9.jpg

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/duck8.jpg

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/duck4.jpg

The story: About 4-5 years ago we had a pair of ducks visit our pool for several days each year. They did this for about 3 years then disappeared. Today, they showed up again.

Two questions. How long do ducks live? What caliber will harvest a duck dinner and not harm patio furniture? This all assumes that the police don�t show up when I pop a cap and I don�t have to shoot my wife first to harvest my dinner :-)

Speaking of wife, She had to take a piece of my secret recipe jalapeno cornbread out for them to eat. Within 2 minutes guess what?

http://home.swbell.net/jmh4/crow1.jpg

Now obviously you guys spending hundreds of dollars on crow decoys and calls just need to purchase some of my secret cornbread!

Guys, I don�t have photographic proof of this next one but,,, 15 years ago I go out my front door to get the mail and there is a 10-point buck (as in MONSTER deer) standing flat-footed in my front yard! I SWEAR ON MY MOTHERS GRAVE!

Send your hunting lease checks to: Mike�s lodge, dead center of Dallas, Texas 75229. Pull up that zip code on yahoo maps and you�ll be amazed that critters could even get here past the freeways!

P.S. Cornbread bait not included in lease fee.

Shoot safe,
Mike

[This message has been edited by scot (edited 03-27-2002).]

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
My wife threatened to take a butcher knife to bed if I shot them,,, but I have the solution with the help of your suggestions.

I will get my wife�s 4-pound attack Pomeranian after them! When the drake chews the fuzz off her dog � THEN I CAN KILL�EM

Hmmmm,

Mike

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
"I will get my wife�s 4-pound attack Pomeranian after them! When the drake chews the fuzz off her dog � THEN I CAN KILL�EM"

Pomeranians make a great appetizer for duck.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote