Find
Notify
Tools

questions about reduced loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

I have a question about accuracy with reduced loads.

Not greatly reduced loads but something along the line of say dropping the velocity out of a 300 win to approximate .308 speeds. Would that adversely affect accuracy in and of itself?

I am still kicking the idea of a 6.5 in an Encore or even a #1. I was thinking of a 6.5-284 or a 6.5 WSM and just throttling back some to about .260 speeds and if I ever need to boost them up to hot rockets then I could.

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JIm,

We have never tried what you are asking, but have tried many reduced loads in all sorts of calibers using pistol and shotgun powders.

The accuracy of some of these loads is amazing - some shooting the most accurate groups out of these rifles.

I fireform all my wildcats with reduced loads - using any pistol powder that I have on hand, such as GREEN DOT and UNIQUE.

We all look at the one hole groups we sometimes get from these.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimbo,

I agree 100 % with our host Saeed. I am partial to loads using Blue Dot, XMP 5744, and my favorites are the IMR 4198 loads. I have had excellent accuracy down to under 2000 fps in a mag case.

As far as the 6.5. Being a big 6.5 fan, you don't need the WSM case or the 284 case. A 260 in a rifle, will give you 3350 fps with a 100 grain bullet and a 22inch barrel. A 6.5 x 55 will do a little better. the larger cases are going to give you more muzzle blast and throat erosion with minimal velocity increase if any at all, especially in a pistol or short barrel.
That is why I did not go with a 6.5/06 when I was building a long range 6.5 mm rifle. Based on what a few friends I have who had already went that route. They loved their 6.5/06s or their 6.5/06 Ackleys. However, they were not getting any noticeable increase in velocity that I was getting in a 6.5 x 55.

A lot of guys will argue that comparing a 6.5x284 to a 6.5 x 55. However, for the hassle, I skipped it. I am building a Bull barrel 30 inch rifle now in 6.5 mm. Caliber of choice, 6.5 x 55. [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
For small to medium bore hunting rifle I like a large capacity for the bore and then I load it down as required. For target shooting it's different as maximum energy is not required to make a hole in paper and long strings of a heavy kicking rifle take their toll.

There are all kinds of reduced loads. To take a magnum or a 30-06 for that matter to down a peg use a powder like IMR 3031 and for even slower loads consult Hodgdons Youth Loads at their site or a Speer manual.

As pointed out above very light loads work with specialty powders like 4759, shotgun and pistol powders. There is a Blue Dot club here somewhere for instance on reduced loads.

An example of what I like is the 220 Swift with a 40 gr bullet at 1900 fps. I call this my low report "22 mag load". This rig has far more flexibility than a .22 Hornet for instance. I am really giving up nothing and I can reach to 400 yds which is something that those who reload cannot do with a tiny capacity .22.

Then there are cast bullet loads. Plenty to keep busy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim B. A few years back, gunwriter John Wooters did and article on that very subject, By using powders in the medium burning range he was able to duplicate the 30-06, .308 Win., 30-40 Krag, and IIRC the 30-30 with the .300 Win. mag.

For the .300 Win. mag. To duplicate
Bullet wt. 30-06 308WCF 30-40K 30-30
150 gr. 62.5/4895 60/4895 56/4064 45/4064

180 gr. 57/3031 55/4064 50/4895

Data is from HANDLOADER MAGAZINE #44 July-August 1973. Be advised tha trhe powders used were made by Dupont, Current versions of the powders used are made by IMR and are somewhat faster burning. Probably won't hurt anything, but it might pay to start a grain or three lower.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote