THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Premium bullet for 222REM do you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For a number of reasons I am looking for a premium bullet for my 222REM with a 1-14" barrel.
The ones I have tried so far will not stabilize.
Facts I would like to recieve are:
Which Premium bullets have you had luck with?
What is your barrel twist if other than 1-14".
Vo? (if known)
3 or 5 shot group at 100 meters/yards.

Thank you

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For a number of reasons I am looking for a premium bullet for my 222REM with a 1-14" barrel.
The ones I have tried so far will not stabilize.
Facts I would like to recieve are:
Which Premium bullets have you had luck with?
What is your barrel twist if other than 1-14".
Vo? (if known)
3 or 5 shot group at 100 meters/yards.

Thank you

I couldn�t get the Nosler 60 grain Patrition to shoot, groups were about 70 mm. The Sierra SPBT in 55 grain shoots just fine, groups were about 30 mm at 100 m.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niels, premium bullets for what purpose? Hunting? I'm kind'a guessing you'd like to hunt (roe?) with your .222 Rem, and now you want to make sure the bullet is up to it. Yes, no?

There are maybe more European .224 cal bullets that will do for (roe) hunting, than there are US bullets?? In particular the US .224 cal bullets suited for deer hunting tend to be a bit on the heavy side, and thus might cause problems in your 1-14" barrel. There are some available, though:

Barnes has different kinds of X (XLC, Triple-Shocks etc) available all the way down to 45grs. A lot of people have liked the Triple-Shocks for accuracy, so maybe the 53 grs TS would do?

Trophy Bonded makes a 50 grs Bear Claw bullet.

Perhaps you would not consider good old Hornady SPs "premium" bullets, but don't overlook the Hornady 55 grs SP - it holds up well.

Otherwise, there are various European bullets such as the RWS TM - comes in 50 grs for instance. What about the Norma offerings, would they do?
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI Mike

I have tried some of the .224 bullets myself, but only the norma 60grainer worked/ stabilized. I know the names of most of the bullets offered, but what i wish to gain from my post is not having to try them all myself.
So which ones have you tried and what are the facts you have for me?
Now it seems to me as if weight of a bullet is not as important as length.... = old news. The Norma 62gr. bullet is .722" / 19,64mm long and is stable at 2900fps in my gun.
The 60 gr nosler part. is a little longer and does not stabilize. neither does the 53gr barnes X.
I belive that .722" is the absolute maximum bullet length my gun will shoot.
But if anyone of my fellow shooters has had different results and can recommend a particular bullet backed with facts, I would like to try that bullet too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi out there.. dont you have any input on this one

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neils,

From my rather limited experience in a 222 and latterly a 5.6x50R I find the 55gr sierra gameking exceedingly good on roe.

The one I did recover from a rather raking shot on a roe buck at about 150yards weighed 53gr and was a perfect mushroom having gone through ribs, gut, liver, lung, heart, rib and ending up under the skin. At the higher velocity of the 5.6 it still makes nice holes even at short range.

The partition was a dead loss for me too.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi 1894

I see you went and got your 5,6x50R. good for you I remember that I helped recommend it together with
mon... what's his name.
What twist do you have in that 5,6x50R.
I shot that rifle before I knew anything about reloading and got concerned about twist rates, bullet lengths and all that.
I need a bullet that makes small holes in birds and roedeer.
But 1-14 is about all there is to get in 222rem. and that does not work well with the heavier premium bullets.
As I said earlier the only "heavy" bullet that works is Normas 62gr. sp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
53gr Sierra Match bullets. If you're hunting deer with the .222, why wouldn't Remington 55gr PSP work? Or hornadys in the same weight.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN MY 788 222 THE 40 GRAIN SIERRA BLITZKING IS A TACKDRIVER. THIS MIGHT BE A LITTLE LIGHT FOR YOUR NEEDS, BUT I MOSTLY VARMIT HUNT AT NIGHT. THE 50 GRAIN NOSLER SPITZER BALLISTIC TIP IS ALMOST AS ACCURATE(ALMOST).

Posts: 29 | Location: OATMEAL TEXAS BY BERTRAM TX BY LIBERTY HILL TX BY AUSTIN TX ........ETC, ETC, ETC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Niels.

In my 222 Rem, a Sako Vixen i have used Rhino 50gr bonded bullets ( solid shank ) and PBP 45gr HP bullet on roedeer and foxes, and both bullets was perfect mushroom.

The barrel has a 1-14" twist and both bullets shoot wery accuracy, about 0,4" at 100 yards.

Link PBP : http://www.arms-ammo.no/

Link Rhino : http://www.rhinobullets.co.za/

Kjell

Posts: 17 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej Kjell

Tak
That was the stonecold facts I am looking for.
I have never heard of the PBP thanks for the link. Are they known a lot and shot a lot in Norway?
I knew of Rhino, but since Rhino went and got a scandinavian dealer they have jumped to sky high prices. Do you order yours directly from the manufacturer?

Kn�k & Br�k Niels

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi 1894

Could you be specific about the Gameking 55gr. bullet you use? Is it a hpbt 55gr gk og an spbt55 gr gk

posted Hide Post
Hei igjen Niels

The PBP bullet is not the most used bullet in Norway, but those hunters that uses it are very satisfied with the result. These bullets are made on CNC machines.

But they are a bit expensive ( ca 5 N.kr pr. stk.)

The Rhino i order from Rafdal V�pen in Norway, and yes they are a bit expensive to!

Link to Rafdal : web page

My reloads:

PBP 45gr HP

Winchester Super 222 case

Federal SR primer

V135 - 23,o gr

Rhino 50 Solid Shank

Winchester Super 222 case

Federal SR primer

V135 - 22,0 gr

Kjell

Posts: 17 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Niels, I can second 1894's opinion about the 55 grain Sierra Gameking Soft Point Boat tail!!! I've shot a bunch of roedeer with them in my Sako Hunter 222Rem. They usually hold together well and exits. Those few that haven't exited have hit bone in a rather hard way... I tried the 50 grain Barnes XLC in my rifle but gave up as I got 50 cm "groups" at 80 meters. Unfortunetly we cant use bullets lighter than 50 grains in Sweden so the 45 grain Barnes X is a no go.... Due to my curiosity I might give the Rhino bullet a shot next year!

Here's four bucks from August last year - all shot with the aforementioned bullet.

Cheers

K9

Posts: 43 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
My Sako 222 just groups dandy with 40gn Nosler Ballistic tips at 3430fps. In the field shooting varmints, I can't pick any difference in killing power than using heavier 55gn but it does shoot a lot flatter.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej Kjell
Tak for the link to Rafdal. I couldn't find .224 cal in rhino though.
Thank for the loads. Check out www.reloadersnest.com it is a good place to leave any other loads you may have.