New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ackley Improved?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm easily confused so be patient with me.

I know that in some Ackley Improved calibers you can fire full-powered parent caliber rounds with no ill effects, and end up with a fire-formed Ackley Improved case.

Is this true with all Ackley Improved calibers? Or do you have to fire-form with reduced loads to safely fire make brass?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As long as the chamber was cut correctly so that a factory case is a crush fit you are safe to fire the parent round for forming. That was a plus for the AI over other wildcats.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use reduced loads, your shoulders will not be fully formed (they will look like Weatherby's). I fireform with max loads for the parent cartridge. Some of the pressure is spent just forming the brass to the larger Ackley chamber before the bullet goes anywhere.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SST is right. You load 'em up with full power loads to form. That is the beauty of the Improved design as you can always use standard factory ammo in a pinch.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GLShooter:
SST is right. You load 'em up with full power loads to form. That is the beauty of the Improved design as you can always use standard factory ammo in a pinch.

Greg

How bad does accuracy (and velocity) suffer when you do this?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a customer, that I built a 257 AI for, who has killed over a dozen deer while fireforming brass.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
How bad does accuracy (and velocity) suffer when you do this?

I've used forming loads for hunting numerous times. You will see a reduction is velocity. Even the largest is not enough to worry about(as long as you know point of impact) and for sure what you shoot will never know or the feel the difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only a slight reduction in velocity. By and large the accuracy is pretty good with most fire forming loads. (Assuming the rifle is accurate to start with)

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
As long as the chamber was cut correctly so that a factory case is a crush fit you are safe to fire the parent round for forming. That was a plus for the AI over other wildcats.

+1

I have two rifles with AI chambers, a 223 and a 250 Savage. I shot full loads for fire forming cases. The accuracy I got was equal to groups shot with FF cases.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I have a number of different Ackley improved cartridges and from what I've read, all but the 450 Ackley, is a direct put the parent factory loaded round in and pull out a fire formed Ackley improved case.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote