New
Find
Notify
Tools

TRAIL BOSS from another planet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a friend give me a can of TRAIL BOSS so I deceided to try it in the 7.62x38R Nagant pistol that I have. Took a look at the HODGDON and ADI sites (they are twitley-de and twilty-dom) and it shows that TRAIL BOSS dose not conform to the physical laws of this planet. If you look at their data under COWBOY LOADS it shows the same 2.8gr of TRAIL BOSS and the same 90gr cast bullet in the 32S&W Long, 32H&Rand 32-20. All three are basicly the same case just different lenghts,but when you look at the pressure it goes up with each longer case. It goes from 8100 CUP in the 32S&W L to 13,900 in the 32-20. It dose the same thing in the 38SPL and the 357MAG. Same load and bullet and it goes up almost 7000 cups in the longer 357. I called HODGDON and what a waste of time. The call ended up being 5 min. of tap danceing and the sound of someone sticking their thumb up their butt. They said THATS HOW IT IS and and then said it might be caused by a heavy crimp(??????) on the longer cases. I have e-mailed ADI 3 or 4 times and they and they never got back. Dose anyone realy work there or is it run by computers.
horse

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same barrel lengths between calibers?

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trail Boss is just a modernized version of the old, 1890-1920's era semi-smokeless bulk powder.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the Rag mag writers did another article on loading the 22 Hornet with Trail Boss

He wasn't happy about it AT ALL !. This was in the article I posted about Primers .

Changed too small pistol primers and All was OK !. I know this is somewhat off target of your topic

but illustrates " Problems " with certain powders and or primer combination's !.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote