Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .38 cast bullets???
 Login/Join

posted
I am getting back into reloading again. My goal is to put out some fairly accurate rounds for plinking. I have a few questions I hope someone here can help me with.
I am reloading a .38 with LSWC sized to .358 (barrel slugged out at .357), a S&W 6" barrel.
I read more conflicting information and it's hard to wrap your head around some of it.
When expanding the case mouth, do I need a special expanding die for cast bullets, or does my standard set of .38 RCBS (18212) dies work?
What type of crimp is best? I am told that roll crimps are "standard", but you should use a taper crimp.
I understand there are probably many ways to do it, just would like to hear some opinions from those with much more experience than myself.
Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't need a special expander, your RCBS die set will do it. Also, when properly adjusted, the RCBS dies will roll crimp your rounds. If you want a taper crimp, a separate die is needed.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Craigster has it right, your RCBS die set will serve just fine. You should have a 3 dies; deprime / resizer, case flair and seating dies. Flair the case mouth just enough to allow the base of the bullet to enter the case mouth. Overworking the brass will lead to shortened case life and premature cracks at the mouth.

Most LSWC’s have a lube grove and a crimp grove. When properly adjusted your seating die should give you a light roll crimp into that grove. A Taper crimp will work but are usually used on cases that head space on the case mouth like the 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP etc.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all of your replies. I am really looking forward to getting back into reloading.